Recipe: Christmas Ice Cream Trifle
The Chocolate Yule Log is so 2010 and Christmas Pudding? Well, it's just so... traditional. This festive season, surprise your guests with the Christmas Ice Cream Trifle...
The epitome of Christmas indulgence, this dessert includes chunks of fluffy red velvet cake and slatherings of rich salted caramel, topped with scoop upon scoop of luxuriously creamy clotted cream ice cream and tangy cranberry coulis. Your kids are going to love Dad for this one...
Christmas Ice Cream Trifle
For the red velvet sponge:
· 570ml vegetable oil
· 450g caster sugar
· 5 eggs, beaten
· 2tbsp vanilla extract
· 250ml buttermilk
· 2tbsp white wine vinegar
· 570g plain flour
· 10g cocoa powder
· 3tsp bicarbonate of soda
· 3tbsp red food gel (approximately)
· 1.5kg Kelly’s clotted cream ice cream
For the salted caramel:
· 500g granulated sugar
· 400ml double cream, room temperature
· 100g butter, room temperature
· 2tsp sea salt
For the cranberry coulis:
· 200g fresh or frozen cranberries
· 100g granulated sugar
How to make it
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease and line a 34cm–24cm baking tray with baking parchment.
2. Whisk together the oil and sugar until combined. Gradually add the eggs and beat until pale and thick. Add the vanilla extract, buttermilk, white wine vinegar and 150ml of water, whisking continuously. Whisk in the flour, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda. Add enough food gel so the batter is deep red in colour.
3. Pour the batter into the prepared tray and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 45-60mins until risen and a knife comes out cleanly when inserted into the middle of the cake.
4. Remove the cake from the tins, cool fully on a wire rack then cut into 6-7cm cubes.
5. Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the sugar and leave to caramelise until it is deep golden in colour, this will take approximately 5mins. Carefully stir in the cream, butter and salt and simmer for 3mins. Leave to cool fully.
6. For the coulis, place the cranberries, sugar and 100ml of water in a saucepan over a medium heat and simmer for 10-15mins until it is a light, syrupy consistency. Blend with a stick blender until it is almost smooth. Cool fully.
7. To assemble, create a layer of cake on the base of the trifle dish. Top with a layer of caramel followed by ice cream. Repeat this step until you have used up all the ingredients. Drizzle the final layer of ice cream with the cranberry coulis.
8. Serve immediately or cover with cling film and place in the freezer until ready to serve.
TIP: To achieve the perfect scoop, try running your ice cream scoop under warm water, then shake to remove any excess water before inserting it into the ice cream. Repeat between scoops and you'll simply glide through the tub.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Nobody would judge you if you ate the trifle straight from the bowl using a serving spoon – otherwise serve with 12 of your favourite friends and family.
For more information about Kelly’s of Cornwall, go to kellysofcornwall.co.uk
Your child's health
17 September 2020
Jesy Nelson's Panic Attack - Would YOU spot the signs?
- Your child's health
14 September 2020
Rule of Six