RECIPE: Spinach and ricotta canneloni
Looking for a quick and easy winter warmer? This veggie classic tastes miles better than any ready-made version...
for the tomato sauce...
4 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
400g can Cirio chopped tomatoes
handful basil leaves, torn
for the filling...
250g vegetarian ricotta cheese
1 egg, beaten
18 cannelloni tubes
350ml béchamel sauce (homemade or from a jar)
30g grated mature vegetarian cheese
15 mins preparation, 1 hour cooking time
How to make it
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C/Gas mark 5.
- Heat the olive oil, then add the onion and fry gently for 10 minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes, remove from heat, stir in the fresh basil and season.
- Meanwhile, put spinach in a large bowl, pour over a kettle of boiling water, leave for 2 mins, drain and cool. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible, then chop roughly. Place in a bowl and mix together with remaining filling ingredients. Season and spoon or pipe the mixture into the cannelloni tubes.
- Lightly butter a 1.5 - 2 litre baking dish and transfer the cannelloni tubes onto it.
- Spoon over the tomato sauce followed by the béchamel sauce. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until golden.