Retailer Argos is recalling five car seat models made by Mamas & Papas over fears they could crack under impact
Argos has warned parents to stop using certain car seats “immediately” over safety fears.
The company found a “potential safety concern” in five models baby car seats from the upmarket brand Mamas & Papas.
Safety tests revealed the models may not be able to protect children in the event of a crash, with their shells cracking under impact.
Argos said in a statement: “We have identified a potential safety concern. In the event of an accident the car seat shell may crack and therefore not provide the intended level of protection to the user.”
The affected models are:
- Mamas & Papas Mercury Group 1 Black (Argos catalogue number 297/7526).
- Mamas & Papas Mercury Group 1 Grey (Argos catalogue number 411/9100).
- Mamas & Papas Mercury Group 1-2-3 Black (Argos catalogue number 305/6037).
- Mamas & Papas Mercury Group 1, 2, 3 Grey (Argos catalogue number 397/9530).
- Mamas & Papas Mercury Group 2-3 Black and Grey (Argos catalogue number 245/4829).
The retailer is offering a full refund to customers, saying: “If you have purchased any of the seats, you should immediately stop using the product and return the car seat to your local Argos store for a full refund.
“We wish to thank you for your co-operation and apologise for any inconvenience caused by this recall.”
In a statement Mamas & Papas added: “We continue to work closely with Argos to determine the exact nature of the issue.
“All Mamas & Papas car seats are tested, certified and approved under the European regulations R44/04 by independent accredited bodies.
“This recall notice does not affect any other Mamas & Papas product.”
The seats included in the recall were all made exclusively for Argos.