A dad has said thank you to people who rushed to his aid when his 18-month-old son had a seizure whilst out shopping
Michael Parry was with his fiancée Rachael Clavis and their son George when their toddler became seriously ill.
Michael said: “My fiancée noticed George’s legs were shaking and she said ‘get him out of the pram, he’s fitting’.
“My first reaction was sheer panic. His face was purple, his eyes had rolled back into his head and he was limp.”
The family had been walking along the Lord Street in Liverpool City Centre when his child became unwell.
Mr Parry added: “We laid him on the ground on top of a blanket in the middle of a busy shopping street, and this is where the overwhelming generosity of people who were passing by came in.
“Firstly a lady came to our aid and helped me undress George to bring his temperature down.
“Almost seconds later other bystanders kindly donated a couple of blankets and offered help, such as seeking first aid boxes in the shops nearby.”
The toddler was taken to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital for tests and is now back home with his mum and dad.
In January, St John Ambulance released a video teaching parents how to give CPR to a child.
It followed a survey which found only one in four mums and dads would know what to do if their baby is unconscious and not breathing.
The campaign follows on from last year’s ‘The Chokeables’, which taught parents how to help a choking baby.
That animated 40-second advert featured the voices of Johnny Vegas, David Mitchell and David Walliams.
This week, a four-year-old boy from Wales has been dubbed “an angel” after saving the life of a choking school friend.
Harvey Price has reportedly been given the nickname “Dr Harvey” by canteen staff after he helped a fellow pupil five-year-old Aniya Williams.
The little girl started choking on her sandwich during lunch, at which point Harvey jumped up from his seat and slapped her on the back to dislodge the food.
Teacher Kira Watkins said: “Harvey reacted immediately and whacked her on the back. He jumped up without even a second thought.”
For more information on baby first aid courses visit: http://www.sja.org.uk