• Page:

TOPIC: Communications with school

Communications with school 1 month 1 week ago #107829

My daughters are currently attending primary school. As they stay with my ex during the week, I don't tend to see the regular school letters and notes in their school bags, except when I pick them up every second Friday.

I tend to use emails and phone calls with the school to keep up to date with information. My ex is not reliable enough to keep me updated, as she either forgets, tells me too late, or does not tell me at all.

The problem is that when I don't receive any responses to my emails to the school and subsequently contact the school to follow up, they state that they sent me email responses and are not willing to resend the emails, or use another email address to send me the missing details. I find this very strange, as when I'm at work, I will work with colleagues and external vendors to make sure they have the information, either sending to another email address or using another contact method.

If I don't have the relevant information then I can't make informed decisions for my children's education.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Communications with school 1 month 1 week ago #107831

• actd
  • Thank you received: 1733
Does the school have an online portal? I've known that before, which might mean you can have access to letters sent.

Communications with school 1 month 1 week ago #107832

The school has a Facebook page, but the last posting was from 2014. I tend to receive the first email with announcements, but then any follow up for further details goes unanswered. The school seems to think that as long as they are sending the responses, then they have done their job and don't really care that I'm not receiving the responses.

A typical example of not receiving information from the school is when they send an email stating that the final decision for picking school photo prints for my daughters school pics, was the following Friday (7 days later), with payment by cheque. At that time, I had not received any prints and I was working and staying away from home, most of the following week.

Communications with school 1 month 1 week ago #107846

Write a letter, type it out - polite. State who you are, and state that you request that all email communication regarding the child is sent to you as well (say both parents).

All schools have children like this. All school need to get good at this. Some of them are, some of them are not.

Sign it, and hand it to over the headmaster. Insist that they get it in person (or via email).

Wait for their response.

• Page: