• Page:

TOPIC: Child maintenance jail sentence

Child maintenance jail sentence 2 months 2 weeks ago #111244

Good evening,

Quick rant

Child maintenance causes issues in my view because I will get asked to buy clothes or more toys even tho I live separate and pay a fixed amount of £80 per week.
This alone causes arguments when your ex asks you to pay for stuff RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE KIDS or will say indirectly "so do you want daddy to buy that for you as mummy pays for everything".

Surely maintenance or CMS should means no financial discussions between you and your ex as you live separate lives in different homes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Child maintenance jail sentence 2 months 2 weeks ago #111246

hi,

yep kids should not be involved in maintenance issues. as you can't control how your ex behaves, all you can do is let your kids know that you do things differently at your place.

Please consult a qualified professional for legal advice.

Whatever your situation Zoom counselling with qualified counsellors can help. You might like to be in touch for your secondary school aged children, or it could be you need support for yourself. To find out about costs or whether you qualify for funding (for example if you are on a low income or benefits) leave your details on this link and we will be in touch:

www.dad.info/online-zoom-conselling

Child maintenance jail sentence 2 months 2 weeks ago #111249

• actd
  • Thank you received: 1773
Yep, the only stuff you should need to buy them are clothes/toys that you use when they are with you - ideally send them back in whatever they came in. Child maintenance covers everything else, you shouldn't have to pay anything else. Next time she says that, you could simply say that you give her money to buy those things, though probably best just avoiding the confrontation if you can.

I am not qualified and any information given should be checked with a professional.

Whatever your situation Zoom counselling with qualified counsellors can help. You might like to be in touch for your secondary school aged children, or it could be you need support for yourself. To find out about costs or whether you qualify for funding (for example if you are on a low income or benefits) leave your details on this link and we will be in touch:

www.dad.info/online-zoom-counselling

Child maintenance jail sentence 2 months 2 weeks ago #111251

Hi

Yes agree with the others. Only exceptions are that you pay for clothes/shoes etc when kids are with you and also have your own set of school uniforms if you have shared care.

If you don't provide the above then it would be reasonable for ex to ask for a contribution towards costs of providing clothes for when kids are with you including uniform.

Depending on age of kids it is possible to explain that you do pay CMS in a way to reassure them, I've explained this to my eldest who is 13.

Thanks

• Page: