TOPIC: CSA versus Child maintenance options

CSA versus Child maintenance options 5 years 2 months ago #44182

• robbiem
  • robbiem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,

My ex and I split in 2008. I have three children that i see in the 52 to 104 bracket ( CSA terms) and using the CSA calculator we worked out that i should be paying £600 pcm to my ex. This is what we have done since that time. We formalised this agreement via the courts in the form of a consent order but i believe that lasts for a year and a day or until a CSA application is submitted.
My ex applied to the CSA about three years ago but withdrew the application when she discovered i was paying too much. I had got married and have two step children which the CSA obvioulsy account for.
I am now considering my options, because my wife and i are expecting a baby in November this year. I put my details into the CSA calculator by mistake to discover that on my wages and with three other children i should be paying £372 pcm. I then discovered that the new Child maintenance option supercedes the CSA. According to this I should be paying £550 pcm. I know this is less then what i am paying but there is a massive gap between what i should be paying via the CSA and what i should be paying via the latter scheme.

My questions are

1) Because my ex wife made an application to the CSA a few years ago (but withdrew it), does this mean that we should use that scheme?
2) Why is there such a massive difference in payments between the two schemes? I know one is based on new income and one on gross but why is this the case.

Any advice would be appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

CSA versus Child maintenance options 5 years 2 months ago #44192

• Nannyjane
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Nanny knows best!
  • Thank you received: 1581
www.gov.uk/calculate-your-child-maintenance

As you don't pay through the CSA, if you went through them now it would be a new claim and you would be on the new system. The link above is to the calculator that you should use to get a calculation.

I don't really understand why you are getting such wide ranging estimates, my advice would be to forget that and start again using the link above.

Theres also a link to the CMS information sheet about the new system which explains their calculations in more detail. You'll find this in the stickys at the top of the child maintenance section, it's called "how the CSA calculates payments". There are two links in this sticky and its the second one you should open.

CMS stands for Child Maintenance Service and is the new name for the CSA.

Mum and Grandmother, supporting my son who has residency of his son.
I want to see a much fairer system in place, where Dads and their children have a voice that can be heard.
There are many groups of people that have equal rights within our society and its about time Dads were given equal rights too.

CSA versus Child maintenance options 5 years 2 months ago #44229

• robbiem
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi - Thanks for the response.

Tried the link and it comes out with the same amount as the one i tried previously.

Just dont understand why the CSA calculate on net pay and CMS calculate on gross?

CSA versus Child maintenance options 5 years 2 months ago #44230

• Nannyjane
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Nanny knows best!
  • Thank you received: 1581
CSA and CMS are one and the same and the link above calculates on the new system that was introduced at the end of last year. Does the calculator allow you to factor in the other children you pay for?

Mum and Grandmother, supporting my son who has residency of his son.
I want to see a much fairer system in place, where Dads and their children have a voice that can be heard.
There are many groups of people that have equal rights within our society and its about time Dads were given equal rights too.

CSA versus Child maintenance options 5 years 2 months ago #44249

1) Because my ex wife made an application to the CSA a few years ago (but withdrew it), does this mean that we should use that scheme?

Because the original claim was withdrawn the new case will be handled by the Child Maintenance Service. We have infomation on DAD about the Child Maintenance Service here .

2) Why is there such a massive difference in payments between the two schemes? I know one is based on new income and one on gross but why is this the case.

The old 2003 scheme was based on net income however the new CMS scheme will be based on Gross income. This is because the CMS will be linked, in the future, directly to the HMRC. So eventually they will be able to pick up income from the tax office system.
The following user(s) said Thank You: robbiem

My last day as DAD.info Community Manager was 1st April 15 - www.dad.info/forum/current-affairs-news-...ussion/43334-goodbye

CSA versus Child maintenance options 5 years 2 months ago #44276

robbiem wrote: Hi - Thanks for the response.

Tried the link and it comes out with the same amount as the one i tried previously.

Just dont understand why the CSA calculate on net pay and CMS calculate on gross?

Sorry for the quick reply I'm off to bed

With the net pay system they took a higher % off for each child
The New system although it takes gross pay takes less % in a calculation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: robbiem

Trying to make sure the CSA/CMS do things right

CSA versus Child maintenance options 5 years 2 months ago #44293

• robbiem
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
It does allow me to factor in the three children but there still is a £200 difference in monthly payments.

Confused.com

CSA versus Child maintenance options 5 years 2 months ago #44357

• actd
  • Thank you received: 1592
The new system does give higher payments if you are significantly into the higher tax bracket.

Last Edit: by actd.

CSA versus Child maintenance options 5 years 2 months ago #45213

Hi Robbiem

Thank you for your post. I am William the Child Maintenance Options consultant. I will provide some information that may help answer your query.

If your ex-wife cancelled her Child Support Agency (CSA) application, the Child Maintenance Service will need to be contacted to put a statutory arrangement in place.

Any Consent Orders that were endorsed after March 2003 are not legally subject to change unless the have been in place for at least 12 months. After 12 months, either parent can apply to the Child Maintenance Service and the Consent Order will no longer be valid. You can find more information about the Child Maintenance Service on Gov.uk at www.gov.uk/child-maintenance .

As you seems to be aware, the Child Maintenance Service works out child maintenance using the paying parent's gross income, which is income before Income Tax and National Insurance are taken off, but after occupational or personal pension scheme contributions are taken away. In most cases this gross income figure comes from information given to HM Revenue & Customs (HRMC) by the paying parent, their employer or a third-party such as an accountant. They also take other factors into account, such as the number of other children living with the paying parent. You can find more information on how the Child Maintenance Service works out child maintenance on Gov.uk at www.gov.uk/how-child-maintenance-is-work...ut-child-maintenance . There is also a document at the bottom of this page which discusses this subject in more detail.

To give you an indication of how much child maintenance that may be calculated if you were to use the Child Maintenance Service, we have an online calculator on our website at www.cmoptions.org/en/calculator/ .

For more information on the ways to set up child maintenance, please visit our website at www.cmoptions.org . Alternatively, you can call us free on 0800 988 0988 between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday or 9am and 4pm on a Saturday. We have a sorting out separation web-app that you may find useful. It offers help and support to separating and separated families. The link is: www.dad.info/divorce-and-separation/sorting-out-separation .

Regards

William

This information which Child Maintenance Options has provided is not a substitute for independent professional advice and users should obtain professional advice relevant to their particular circumstances.

Please note: the Child Maintenance Options team cannot answer any questions relating to a specific CSA or Child Maintenance Service case
  • Page:
Moderators: Samantha Downes