• Page:

TOPIC: 16 year old moved out will i pay csa?

16 year old moved out will i pay csa? 5 years 2 weeks ago #44212

hi, my 16 year old daughter moved in with me and my wife 18 months ago, she has now moved out of her own free will to live with her sister, she has given up her college course and gone! (still in shock). her sister is now saying we have to pay maintenance for her, is this right? apparently her sister will enrol her in a college in September....please help, advice needed. thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 year old moved out will i pay csa? 5 years 2 weeks ago #44216

Unless the sister is claiming child benefit for her, then no you won't have to pay maintenence

Who receives the child benefit at the moment ?

Trying to make sure the CSA/CMS do things right

16 year old moved out will i pay csa? 5 years 2 weeks ago #44217

We do at the moment, this all happened Monday....the sister called the college and said her sister won't be returning, then she text us and told us to stop claiming cb cos she wants to claim it! And surely if my 16 yr old freely walked away from her home to care for her disabled sister....(yea right)...,then it is down to her to support herself?

Last Edit: by alsnal666.

16 year old moved out will i pay csa? 5 years 3 days ago #45214

Hi alsnal666

Thank you for your post. I am William the Child Maintenance Options consultant. I will provide some information that may help answer your query.

Under the statutory rules, regular child maintenance payments must be made until a child is 16 years old, or 20 if they are in full-time, non-advanced education (A-level or equivalent), or for as long as Child Benefit is being paid. Also, anyone aged 16 or 17 who is not in education, is not working and does not receive employment related benefits, is also defined as a child. When a child leaves full-time education in the summer, Child Benefit generally continues until the first week of September. You can find more information on when child maintenance stops on Gov.uk at www.gov.uk/when-child-maintenance-payments-stop .

For more information on the ways to set up child maintenance, please visit our website at www.cmoptions.org . Alternatively, you can call us free on 0800 988 0988 between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday or 9am and 4pm on a Saturday. We have a sorting out separation web-app that you may find useful. It offers help and support to separating and separated families. The link is: www.dad.info/divorce-and-separation/sorting-out-separation .

Regards

William

This information which Child Maintenance Options has provided is not a substitute for independent professional advice and users should obtain professional advice relevant to their particular circumstances.

Please note: the Child Maintenance Options team cannot answer any questions relating to a specific CSA or Child Maintenance Service case
  • Page:
Moderators: Samantha Downes