• Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: 2 non resident parents

2 non resident parents 5 years 2 weeks ago #47765


Long story but my daughter lives with her grandma and there are two non residential parents.

It only appears that the grandma has applied for CSA from me.

I was wondering if both non-residential parents should make contributions?


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 non resident parents 5 years 2 weeks ago #47773

That's interesting as I have never heard of anyone getting double Child support, Best bet is to contact the agency and ask directly ,

obviously it would be best if you both had a private arrangement to support your child I am guessing it is the maternal grandmother

do you have regular contact as well as the mother ? I am assuming you are separated

Sorry have not been of much help we do have a board that is for Child Support questions you might find your answer there you can do a search

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Started the Court process at the beginning of the year (2014) applied for full residency.

Acting as Litigant in person - Over the Moon
All my children now under one roof forever

Final Order Dec 2014 Full Residency to Father

2 non resident parents 5 years 1 week ago #48184

Only one person can claim and it's usually the one that also claims the child benefit for the child

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Trying to make sure the CSA/CMS do things right

2 non resident parents 5 years 6 days ago #48247

  • Mojo
  • Mojo's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 8466
  • Thank you received: 1734
...I think nathanwind is querying why, when the child lives with the grandmother, he is the only parent that has been asked to pay maintenance. As the mother is also a non resident parent then she should bear an equal share of the maintenance costs.

This is not something I have come across before but I think it's a valid point....perhaps we can ask CMO if they can give an answer to this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DadTalk Moderator... I'm not legally trained and my responses are my own views based on my experiences of the family court. I have plenty of common sense and can offer you emotional support and guide you to answers.

2 non resident parents 5 years 4 days ago #48317

  • actd
  • actd's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 10605
  • Thank you received: 1592
Would be good to get advice from the CMO, but I'm guessing it's up to the grandmother who she claims against, and who she doesn't - after all there would be nothing to stop her claiming against the mother for appearances sake, and then giving it straight back to her.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 non resident parents 5 years 4 days ago #48328

Hi nathanwind

Thank you for your post. I am William the Child Maintenance Options consultant.

All parents have a responsibility to provide regular and reliable financial support for their children, however, the Child Support Agency (CSA) is just one way to do this. Although it sounds as though your daughter’s grandmother has not applied to the CSA to receive child maintenance from the other parent, she could still be receiving contributions via a family-based arrangement, the Child Maintenance Service or a court order.

A family-based arrangement is an agreement reached privately between the parent paying child maintenance and the person receiving it. It is a flexible arrangement as it does not only have to be about money. If the parent paying and the person receiving child maintenance agree, it can include other kinds of support, such as providing clothes, shoes or other things that may be needed. Although family-based arrangements are not a legally binding way of arranging maintenance, a lot of families feel that they works better and lasts longer than other types of arrangements.

The CSA no longer accept applications for child maintenance. They have been replaced by the new Government statutory maintenance service, called the Child Maintenance Service.

Child maintenance arranged through the courts is known as a Consent Order in England and Wales or a Minute of Agreement in Scotland.

As I mentioned the CSA is just one way to arrange child maintenance. For more information on the choices you have, please visit our website at www.cmoptions.org . Alternatively, you can call us free on 0800 988 0988 between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday or 9am and 4pm on a Saturday.


The following user(s) said Thank You: nathanwind

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

This information which Child Maintenance Options has provided is not a substitute for independent professional advice and users should obtain professional advice relevant to their particular circumstances.

Please note: the Child Maintenance Options team cannot answer any questions relating to a specific CSA or Child Maintenance Service case

2 non resident parents 5 years 7 hours ago #48517

Yes that is the case. The maternal grandmother has only applied through csa (long time ago) for financial support from me. I have details that she has an arrangement set up for support from my ex partner although I dont know what this is. I'm happy paying the full amount and I have no deductions based on what she has setup with my ex partner however, I thought it was a different situation and thought that we should both make equal contributions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1
Moderators: Samantha Downes