• Page:

TOPIC: CSA trying to claim for their errors

CSA trying to claim for their errors 4 years 10 months ago #47816

Hi Everyone, I wonder if anyone can shed light on this problem.

I separated from my partner back in 1989 and made regular payments for my children, but my partner would only accept cash and nothing else. I joined the delights of the CSA in 1990 and after a year of catastrophic problems with the CSA payment system (Giro credit/Standing Order not going through their system in time, cheques lost in CSA (sent recorded delivery)) etc I eventually forced the CSA hand in to a voluntary deduction of earning order. phew... fast forward 15 years and 6 letters confirmed case closure and nil arrears, I have now received harassing letters and phone calls stating I owe a couple of thousand. When I ask where from and why because they have had control of my payments through DOE, I am met with "its from the old case before it went to new" and I have to prove I paid. I have been told by CSA that if I don't get the evidence then it will be a visit to the court and an introduction to a large man with leather gloves (bailiff).

I have asked repeatedly how, when they have had control of the account/payments through DOE can there be arrears to which I have been informed "it may have been a clerical/assessment error" and I should ignore all letters of nil arrears and case closure .. this has now been ongoing for 2 years.

where do I stand !!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

CSA trying to claim for their errors 4 years 10 months ago #47856

• actd
  • Thank you received: 1583
Get in touch with your MP as fast as possible to get him to raise a complaint. Also, ask the CSA for a breakdown of the arrears - if it goes to court (which I hope for your sake, it does) chances are they can't produce a calculation and you CAN produce letters from them saying that the case is closed and there are no arrears - I can't see a court ruling in their favour at all.

The bailiffs should only get involved if the court orders that you have to pay and your refuse - if the worst comes to the worst, and a court does order against you, then offer to make a schedule of payments - chances are the court would at least allow that. But as I say, I would be surprised if a court ruled against you.

CSA trying to claim for their errors 4 years 10 months ago #47876

• Mojo
  • Thank you received: 1690
I agree with actd completely here. I think if it gets to court you have a strong case...but yes definitely go see your MP ASAP.

DadTalk Moderator...

I'm not a lawyer or barrister and my responses are based on my own opinions or experiences of the family court.

I may not be legally trained... but I have plenty of experience and common sense!

CSA trying to claim for their errors 4 years 10 months ago #48183

Also read the CSA special payments guide and put a claim in (google it) :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: actd

Trying to make sure the CSA/CMS do things right
  • Page:
Moderators: Samantha Downes