• Page:

TOPIC: What do I do?

What do I do? 4 years 11 months ago #57254

hi,I'm new to the site and would like to ask the group for some help or advice.
I've been paying my ex Csa payments since 1998 and recently started making the payments directly to her via standing order rather than her being paid thru the Csa.My son is 17 and at present in college.He will be going to uni next September.He has a part time job and I've recently been told that if he works more than 24 hours a week that I will be able to cease paying for him.Is this true??? He is working approximately 30-35 hours per week.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Nick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What do I do? 4 years 11 months ago #57263

• Mojo
  • Thank you received: 1815
Hi there

If the case has been closed with the CSA and you now have a private arrangement to pay her directly thn the best course of action would be to discuss this with the mother.

As far as I know, if a child is working for more than 24 hours a week the parent with care isn't entitled to child benefit or maintenance. As your son is at college though I'm not sure if that overrides this. He must be attending college for more than 12 hours a week to for his mother to qualify for child benefit/maintenance.

I will ask Child Maintenace Options to offer some advice.

DadTalk Moderator... I'm not legally trained and my responses are my own views based on my experiences of the family court. I have plenty of common sense and can offer you emotional support and guide you to answers.

What do I do? 4 years 11 months ago #57279

Thanks,will call CSA on Monday to see what to do

What do I do? 4 years 11 months ago #57320

Hi Stevo,

Can you let us know how you got on with the CSA on this subject.

Thanks,
Sean

What do I do? 4 years 11 months ago #57368

Hello Stevo63n

If your case is still open with the Child Support Agency (CSA) you may wish to contact them to see where you stand with your payments. You will find their details on any letters they have sent you or on Gov.uk at www.gov.uk/child-maintenance .

If you have a family-based arrangement in place with your ex-partner this may be something that you can discuss and negotiate on. As family-based arrangements are not legally enforceable, therefore, parents can decide the terms of their agreement to suit their current circumstances.

For further information on when maintenance ends, you may wish to visit the following website, www.gov.uk/when-child-maintenance-payments-stop .

For more information on the different ways to set up child maintenance, you can visit the Child Maintenance Options website at www.cmoptions.org .

The DWP have a sorting out separation web-app that you may find useful. It offers help and support to separating and separated families. The link is: www.dad.info/divorce-and-separation/sorting-out-separation .

Regards

William

This information which Child Maintenance Options has provided is not a substitute for independent professional advice and users should obtain professional advice relevant to their particular circumstances.

Please note: the Child Maintenance Options team cannot answer any questions relating to a specific CSA or Child Maintenance Service case
  • Page:
Moderators: Samantha Downes