Free online course for separated parents
Self Employment / O...

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Self Employment / Online CMS Calculator

(@strugglingon)
Estimable Member Registered

Hi all

Just wondering how accurate you found the online calculator? Ive been paying maintenance based on the calculation to my ex through an informal agreement, but i get the usual line of its not enough and that she may need to go to the CMS. Im tired of the threats and am considering just applying myself. My only concern is that that if they calculate on the basis of my last tax return ill be paying a fortune as i was still in a well paid job. Since september ive been self employed but obviously that tax information isnt submitted until next year.

Grateful for any advice, tired of being beaten over the head with CSS but can only just afford to pay the current contribution.

Would really appreciate your help.

Thanks
SO

Topic starter Posted : 14/06/2016 2:06 pm
(@got-the-tshirt)
Famed Member Registered

Hi There,
When you become self employed, they should set you on a base payment, That's what happened when I transfered from employment to self employed, they will then ask you to complete a form with income and out goings for your self employment to date and then set the amount from that.
I would call CMS which is the new agency CSA are moving all old cases accross to them so all new cases go straight to CMS and ask them for advice, they should be able to explain what you would need to do.
GTTS

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/06/2016 2:16 pm
(@strugglingon)
Estimable Member Registered

Thanks GTTS - what has your exeprience been of them?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14/06/2016 2:42 pm
(@got-the-tshirt)
Famed Member Registered

Hi There,
Whilst I was with CSA, I always found them to be pretty good, they have to work within the guidlines they have set, I did have issues when trying to prove how many nights my son spent with me for a reduction, but again, they have to work within the rules they have set out.
I switched accross to CMS a few months ago, and they also seem quite switched on, they called me asked lots of questions and advised what I would have to pay.
Give them a call,
GTTS

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/06/2016 3:38 pm
 actd
(@actd)
Illustrious Member

I've found the CSA and CMS to be helpful also, though I am the one receiving maintenance, not paying it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/06/2016 10:35 pm
(@Child Maintenance Consultant)
Noble Member Registered

Hello strugglingon

Thank you for your post. If you are referring to the calculator listed on the Child Maintenance Options website ( http://www.cmoptions.org/en/calculator/), the tool provides an estimated payable amount of child maintenance based on the rules that the statutory child maintenance service use. You can find more detailed information on how the Child Maintenance Service work out child maintenance on Gov.uk at https://www.gov.uk/how-child-maintenance-is-worked-out/how-the-child-maintenance-service-works-out-child-maintenance.

With you mentioning that you have a family-based arrangement in place for child maintenance with your ex-partner, it is up to both of you to decide how much child maintenance that will be paid and the factors that will be taken into account when working out child maintenance. You also have the freedom to try and renegotiate your current agreement. Even though family-based arrangements are not legally-binding, they give parents the freedom to decide when their child maintenance will be reviewed, such as if there is a change in either of your circumstances. You can find more information on family-based arrangements on our website at http://cmoptions.org/en/family/index.asp.

If you feel that your family-based arrangement no longer works, you can make an application to the Child Maintenance Service, the Government's new statutory service. Any child maintenance that is managed by them is legally-binding and enforceable. Your responsibility to pay will begin from around the point when the Child Maintenance Service contacts you.

If you would like to discuss child maintenance in an impartial and confidential manner, including using the Child Maintenance Service, you may wish to contact Child Maintenance Options directly. You can find more information about this organisation, including their contact details by visiting their website at http://www.cmoptions.org.

The DWP have a sorting out separation web-app that you may find useful. It offers help and support to separating and separated families. The link is: www.dad.info/divorce-and-separation/sorting-out-separation.

Regards

William

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/06/2016 12:49 pm
Share:

Pin It on Pinterest