• Page:

TOPIC: Affording moving on

Affording moving on 2 months 3 weeks ago #98136

Hello. I am married with a large ‘step’ family. Ex still lives in marital home for which I pay the mortgage. She has also been awarded CMS payments. Ok, so I have a fairly good job but it only pays my rent, bills and living costs... I cannot continue paying an additional mortgage and CMS payments (which alone are almost £900)... I’m finding it really tough to the point where it’s pissible I’m going to end up divorced (again!)... help and advice please. I’m begging for somebody to listen!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Affording moving on 2 months 2 weeks ago #98149

• Mojo
  • Thank you received: 1720
Hi there

Is there an order in place that allows your ex to remain in the home? Is she in a position financially to meet the payments herself?

CMS rules state that contributions made to the mortgage can only be deducted from the calculated amount if the receiving parent and children are living there and the paying parent doesn’t have any legal or equitable interest in the property, might this apply to you?

In situations like this its always best to seek to some proper legal advice, some solicitors offer a free initial consultation or you can also ask for advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau.

As it’s a housing situation, you could also contact Shelter for more advice.

What would happen if you informed her you could no longer afford to pay the mortgage?

It’s a difficult situation, with no easy answers, unfortunately it may well take a court case to get things moving.

Best of luck

DadTalk Moderator... I'm not legally trained and my responses are my own views based on my experiences of the family court. I have plenty of common sense and can offer you emotional support and guide you to answers.

Last Edit: by Mojo.

Affording moving on 2 months 2 weeks ago #98233

• actd
  • Thank you received: 1585
Does the CMS know about your step family? There is a reduction in child maintenance for children who you support in your current marriage

• Page:
Moderators: Samantha Downes