• Page:

TOPIC: Blood out of a stone

Blood out of a stone 1 week 4 days ago #100506

Hi, fellow Dads. I have a question about an issue that will come up for many of you eventually as well, namely when maintenance finishes. My son starts advanced education in September and I've been told by the CMS that my payments cease from 2/9. This was only after several letters to them, and my ringing them up to raise the issue. I pay by direct pay method at the middle of the month and was advised that my last payment is in September, then. My query is, if my payments are made in arrears ( are they?), then I would be overpaying by about 2 weeks. They didn't seem bothered by this. Thing is, if I direct pay, I'll never get it back. It might seem a minor quibble but should I just overpay and accept I'll never get it back or just pay half a month's worth? My son disowned me and changed his surname, I believe, and I haven't seen him for years. - nothing to do with abuse; just a bitter divorce, and she remarried years ago anyway.
Thanks, chaps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Bostwick.

Blood out of a stone 1 week 4 days ago #100510

• Mojo
  • Thank you received: 1763
... I think, if it were me, I would just make that last payment. If you only pay half, the CMS may come after you for it and I don’t think I’d want to take that chance... To draw a line under it finally would be what’s most important to me.

DadTalk Moderator... I'm not legally trained and my responses are my own views based on my experiences of the family court. I have plenty of common sense and can offer you emotional support and guide you to answers.

Blood out of a stone 1 week 3 days ago #100531

hi,

i second mojo. just pay it off. CMS can be very incompetent at times. i am having to make 2 months back-dated payments through no fault of my own. simply because CMS took so long to work out how much i have to pay. i cant be bothered to argue with them. its a standard 20 min wait on the phone lol.

Blood out of a stone 1 week 3 days ago #100532

• actd
  • Thank you received: 1608
If you try to argue it, you will probably lose, and that way your ex knows you have been beaten. Just pay it gracefully and be thankful that's the end of it.

• Page:
Moderators: Samantha Downes