• Page:

TOPIC: Advice needed please

Advice needed please 3 weeks 2 days ago #109960

• MrReid
  • MrReid's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
So i have a child with an ex partner, i moved to another city and slowly but surely she stopped contact and made it difficult to do anything about it. I had not had any contact for a number of years to randomly receive a threatening letter from the csa saying i owe them money. Naturally i call them as this is out of the blue and am told this is a historic case and i need to pay it. Arrangements made to pay over a period of time through direct debit. There was never an issue or argument from my end and i called to pay as soon as possible.

6 months later i receive another threatening later stating they have looked at my earnings and i now have to pay 240 per month, i call them to advise this is a pretty big expense to drop onto someone out of the blue and will struggle to pay my own rent and bills along with this. I was told “this does sound abit much” and the lady i spoke with changed the payment to £100 per month via direct debit on the first of the month. No further contact from them until over a month later when out of nowhere the csa take over 200 quid out of my account with no warning or reason on the 28th of the month alone with a text stating “youre maintenance is due in 3 days”.

Naturally i call csa only to be told that it doesnt matter what i was told and spoken to with such a condescending attitude that if i could have reached through the phone and hit him i probably would have! Asked to speak to a manager and was told this may take 48 hours.

Team leader calls back whilst im at work to tell me that due to “a training issue” i have been misinformed but offered no apology and says that regardless of what i was told my their own representative i still have to be ok with them taking my money and getting charged from my bank etc for failed direct debits.

I am awaiting another call back as couldnt talk too much at work but it feels like the csa are not interested in helping or even apologising for their mistakes and instead except me to simply sit back and let them screw me.

Any guidance provided would be appreciated hugely.

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advice needed please 3 weeks 2 days ago #109961

hi,

what year did your relationship with ex end? historic CSA cases always seem to cause a lot of trouble like this.

they have a complaints process you can follow:
www.gov.uk/manage-child-maintenance-case/complaints-and-appeals

Advice needed please 3 weeks 1 day ago #109981

• MrReid
  • MrReid's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
The relationship ended well over ten years ago...contact stopped around 8 years ago. Im more frustrated with them changing the amount of my direct debit without my consent or knowledge because of their mistake. Surely this cant be allowed?

• Page:
Moderators: Samantha Downes