• Page:

TOPIC: Son is under police protection in my care?

Son is under police protection in my care? 1 month 3 weeks ago #108796

Hi, my five year old son is under police protection after his mother got drunk and spent a night in the cells. I picked him up a week ago from a cop and social worker. Similar thing happened four years ago and she has had incidents with social services with he other son (who is from a previous relationship). She has drink and drug issues and the social services know this. The worker assigned has basically said that it's happened too many times and they think I should have him. A conference is planned this month. My mind is everywhere but atleast he's safe here with me. But I'm starting to think she done this on purpose, like she doesn't want our son, or maybe the lifestyle she lives is just more important. Will I get sole residency? I have PR and every weekend, but ss do not seem to want him going back to her. They even asked me about the school's near me etc. I can and will do it full time, but it's breaking my heart, he saw her for two hours yesterday at the park,she was with one of her female friends and didn't seem to care about the situation.
What's section 7 etc, will the social services support me etc?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Son is under police protection in my care? 1 month 3 weeks ago #108799

By the sounds of it, there will be no concerns raised against you in the section 7, unless your ex makes up some allegations that they will have to investigate. It seems as though she has had enough chances now but thankfully he is with the "safer" parent now. I assume SS may recommend some sort of supervised contact with your ex for a while.

Son is under police protection in my care? 1 month 3 weeks ago #108803

Hi Stamina,

Looks like you are in a good position to be granted sole custody of the kids.

My only advice would be that there could be a possibility that the mother is given restricted contact but that you should make the right judgement calls based on the children and allow access based on what you believe is right for the kids. So if you do believe she should get more than what the courts say (the courts may not say but in case they do) then try to arrange this. Even if it does mean you are chasing up the mother to spend time with the kids etc. Due to drink and drugs, the mother may not care about the situation as you say however I'm sure the kids do and maybe in time they will benefit from the contact even if it is limited.

As many parents on here will attest to, we are all here trying to do the best by our kids and are all concerned by the long term impact of the children not having contact with both parents. My view is that if the roles were reversed I wouldn't do what my ex has done and be prevented from having access unless of course there is the risk of harm to the kids but even then I would consider how could I mitigate and reduce the harm as a responsible parent before cutting off access totally.

Just my thoughts, good luck.

Son is under police protection in my care? 1 month 3 weeks ago #108810

hi stamina,

sounds like you have full backing of social services to get sole custody of kids. section 7 report is what social workers complete. they look into welfare issues of child and decide whats in best interests of child, e.g. spending more/equal time with both parents, or recommending change of custody etc. they will interview and talk to child. report depends on each case and circumstances of children and parents. i wonder if you would be allowed to have custody without going through courts.

Son is under police protection in my care? 1 month 3 weeks ago #108821

• actd
  • Thank you received: 1745
Assuming you get residency, I would say that contact must definitely be supervised at a contact centre, both for safety and for record keeping of attendance. I did this a long time ago - initially twice monthly contact, fully supervised, but she couldn't maintain that, so it went to monthly, and then to supported, before she finally stopped bothering to attend.
My circumstances were remarkably similar to yours, except in my case, social services didn't know about it until they were presented with a fait accompli, after which the fully supported me, and wrote a letter saying that the case was closed as long as they remained with me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stamina9008

Last Edit: by actd.

Son is under police protection in my care? 1 month 3 weeks ago #108833

Thanks very much to all of your replies, however, i only thanked actd with the 'thank you' link because his seemed more pertinent.
It very much going in the direction i stated initially. Social worker said that she will advise at the conference and court that he should be with me.
I am finding this very difficult emotionally though. But the bottom line is, im more stable than her.
He's such a wonderful boy and i will never let him down.

• Page: