TOPIC: Stopping Smoking

Stopping Smoking 9 years 9 months ago #3140

Hi guys,

As I'm becoming a very very bad example to my teenage daughter :o D

Has anyone else gone through this ? how did you manage ? Did you use any NRT products ? any advice......

Come on Dadtalkers help gooner out here and share your successes or failures with me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My last day as DAD.info Community Manager was 1st April 15 - www.dad.info/forum/current-affairs-news-...ussion/43334-goodbye

Re: Stopping Smoking 9 years 9 months ago #3145

Gooner

Me too - i wud love to give up the evil weed. I have tried six or seven times but have failed each time (guess i have got crap willpower).

I have tried the following NRT's

Gum - This tasted soo bad that i had to have a fag to get the flavour out of my mouth.
Patches - gave me a headache and made me manic and aggressive.
Glucose - Was told by my GP that this would help with my withdrawel as is lessoned the craving for nicotine - didn't work.

Tell you what man - you let me know when and i try to give up with you.

Re: Stopping Smoking 9 years 9 months ago #3163

Hi there

My dad smoked for over 45 years at his peak smoking 60-100 a day!!! For the whole of my childhood I cannot remember him without a cigarette in his hand.

He decided he was going to give it up and went to a hynotist and hasn't smoked for over five years - I think it cost him a fotune for the hypnosis but it must be worth it

I think it is easier to do if you want to do it

Good Luck

Mario

Re: Stopping Smoking 9 years 9 months ago #3170

• j_c
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi there,

I smoked for years and got ill as a result so had to give up. It was easy for me to do in a way. Seeing so many of my family die as a result of smoking and my scare, it kind of was enough to just pack it in! Of course I would love a fag right now, but I refrain and maybe have a drink instead once in a while! It's definitely easier now it's non-smoking everywhere. When I tried to give up years back, it was near impossible in the pubs and clubs. I found Alan Carr's book (I think that's his name - he's an American, not the camp bloke on telly!) really useful in giving up. I can't remember what it's called now - Amazon should have it. Lucozade and exercise helped too. The price was also a major factor! I was a bit of a snob anyway and smoked lucky strikes or gauloises from France - both of which you don't see in many places, apart from France!

Best of luck - believe in yourself and you'll get there!

jc

Re: Stopping Smoking 9 years 8 months ago #3282

Guys !!!

I am also wanting to quit, partly for my own health and empty pockets and partly for my girlfriend who hate's it !

I have been smoking for about 15 years and have only ever tried properly about 2 times but never been able to ! i tried the patches but they gave me really bad head aches so i just gave up on trying ! also with our baby only about 3 months away, i dont want to be smelling of smoke when im doing my bit !

If you guys are going to set a date then please let me know so i can try with you ! would be good to go thru it with other people at the same time !

Re: Stopping Smoking 9 years 8 months ago #3284

I gave up about a year or so ago for six months,stupidly I got sucked back in as a bit of a social smoker. Im currently not smoking and chew nicotine gum-I do sometimes feel like it's a bit psychological but I continue with it as I reckon it's best to have a bit of gum than smoke,eventually I will try and cut it out.

For those that have tried gum and thought it tasted horrid,try Nicorette fresh mint as it's like chewing normal chewing gum really,you don't chew it in your mouth as often though as will give you heartburn etc,you do get used to headaches on the patches eventually aswell as i've tried them aswell,patches made me have very strange dreams for some reason.

Having an understanding partner helps as for me I get a bit grumpy,some me time helps alot.

Good luck..

Re: Stopping Smoking 9 years 8 months ago #3285

Hi Cal,

My quit date has been set (with my stop smoking support person :) ) for Thursday 25th Feb - your more than welcome to join me - hopefully normal will join in as well.

Gooner

My last day as DAD.info Community Manager was 1st April 15 - www.dad.info/forum/current-affairs-news-...ussion/43334-goodbye

Re: Stopping Smoking 9 years 8 months ago #3297

To be honest - the support would be great.

I am determined to beat the fags this time round - after 23 years of smoking its about time i got free of them.

Re: Stopping Smoking 9 years 8 months ago #3305

Gooner

I'll give a go mate on Thursday - if your willing to help and let me know how your doing.

Re: Stopping Smoking 9 years 8 months ago #3311

I had set in my mind that Monday 1st March would be my date

But - Im gonna see what happens on thursday, you never know, either way the more people supporting each other should be better for us all should it not???

Its time these "cancer sticks" stopped ruling my life !

Re: Stopping Smoking 9 years 8 months ago #3318

Cal - set whatever date your happy with, because im using the NHS stop smoking service i had to set a date this week. We can support each other either way.

Tell you what though, a day away and I'm begining to get a tad nervous - am I a wuss or is this normal ? I guess they have been a part of my life for sooooooo long now that its a big thing not to have them.

Really hope im not a grumpy git tomorrow........

Re: Stopping Smoking 9 years 8 months ago #3341

• mags
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi guys

Well done for even thinking about it !

I have gave up 1 week ago !! with the help of the NHS stop smoking service - Clive you are a god send - and so far so good. :D

Smoke free and at least £400 a month saved by myself and my partner, a feel a holiday coming on - what an incentive.

Mags

Mags
DadTalk moderator

To bring up a child in the way he should go, travel that way yourself once in a while. ~Josh Billings