TOPIC: Having an 'informal chat' regarding a job vacancy

Having an 'informal chat' regarding a job vacancy 5 years 1 month ago #52623

• geek84
  • geek84's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Folks

I work in an accounts dept and recently there has been posted a vacancy on the internal vacancy board, and I am thinking of applying for that job. There is also a note at the end of the vacancy details that states a particular phone number within the company you can call, in order to have an informal chat regarding this vacancy.

Do you think I should have this 'informal chat'? Would it be worthwhile having this chat? Has anybody else been in a similar experience?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Having an 'informal chat' regarding a job vacancy 5 years 1 month ago #52646

Hi,

I worked in admin for some time and the reason You have that formal chat is in my experience to save time on interviews dates and time. If I can talk to you on the phone and get some kind of idea what your about and see if you will fit in the team. Then I can call you in for a face to face etc etc.

Rather then 100 interviews in our meeting room and tea's galore wasting hours on end.

Having an 'informal chat' regarding a job vacancy 5 years 1 month ago #52683

• actd
  • Thank you received: 1654
I'd have said it's worth it - it will give you more information on the role and whether you think you are suited to it. You may decide it's not something you'd like after all, or that it's even better than you thought.

Having an 'informal chat' regarding a job vacancy 5 years 1 month ago #52854

• geek84
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for your replies, folks.

Having an 'informal chat' regarding a job vacancy 5 years 1 month ago #52857

Go for it the grass may me greener......he who dares Rodders :)

I'm no way trained in Family court matters so don't take my ramblings as gospel but I've been through the Court mill and learned so much along the way I just like passing my experience on to other Dads who face this absolute nightmare from hell, you might not be able to beat the system but don't let it beat you :)

Having an 'informal chat' regarding a job vacancy 4 years 10 months ago #57404

Definitely worth it - especially when they ask you at interview to say, explain an average day's duties, or explain the basic functions of the post. You've got the info from first hand accounts.
I've also been asked "what have you done to prepare for today?" You'll be able to say that you've conducted research in to the department/posting.
Calling them might get you a day shadowing the department or at least getting your face known....

Having an 'informal chat' regarding a job vacancy 4 years 10 months ago #57433

• geek84
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thank You

• Page: