• Page:

TOPIC: Ex is moving 2 and a half hours away

Ex is moving 2 and a half hours away 7 years 3 months ago #31371

Ex is moving 2 and a half hours away with my one year old daughter. I see her one day a week, is she allowed to do this?!
I pay £170 maintainance a month and struggle with that, I don't know how I will afford travel each week, but she has said she won't be able to do any travel. Can she be made to do half as she's the one moving?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Ex is moving 2 and a half hours away 7 years 3 months ago #31376

• Nannyjane
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Nanny knows best!
  • Thank you received: 1583
Hi there :)

I'm afraid she more or less is.

If you pay maintenance through the CSA then you will be entitled to a reduction for travelling expenses. There's a useful sticky at the top of the Child Maintenance section called "How does the CSA calculate payments" you will find information in there about how the reduction is applied.

If a case goes to court the judge will sometimes order that the travelling is shared, but more often not. You could try Mediation to try and get her to agree but there is a charge for this unless you are on a low income or in receipt of benefits. Here's a link to the mediation service www.nfm.org.uk

Here's a link to the Legal aid calculator www.gov.uk/check-legal-aid

Mum and Grandmother, supporting my son who has residency of his son.
I want to see a much fairer system in place, where Dads and their children have a voice that can be heard.
There are many groups of people that have equal rights within our society and its about time Dads were given equal rights too.
Last Edit: by Nannyjane.

Re: Ex is moving 2 and a half hours away 7 years 3 months ago #31506

• actd
  • Thank you received: 1752
I know it's not something you may want to consider, but it might be worth looking at the idea of travelling every alternate week and negotiating longer access for the weekends you are there.

• Page:
Moderators: Samantha Downes