• Page:

TOPIC: remove me from the birth certificate

remove me from the birth certificate 5 years 6 months ago #61968

I was put on the birth certificate of my ex girlfriends first child believing that I was the biological father. I have since found out that she was already pregnant and therefore cannot be. We are no longer together, have both moved on and she wants to remove me from the BC.
She has never asked me for money for the child after we broke up until now and wants me to pay upwards of £ 500 to get my name removed from the BC so that her current boyfriend can adopt the child. I'm pretty certain that this is a huge exaggeration of the cost to do this and would like info on what it would cost me or even if it is my burden of cost at. (She has a history of saying she will pay back debts ie. Phone bills etc. And not doing so. She has cost me up to £1000 which I have resigned to never seeing again.)
I'm not willin to give her money to sort this out (im not a moron) but I am willing to get this matter resolved.
Can anyone offer me any advice? Ideally I'd like it to cost me nothing to get this done. (She has had enough money from me already)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

remove me from the birth certificate 5 years 6 months ago #61969

• Nannyjane
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Nanny knows best!
  • Thank you received: 1583
Hi,

It doesn't cost anything to change the details with the registry office but it looks like you will need a DNA test to prove that you are not the father. Here's a link to all the info you need

www.gov.uk/correct-birth-registration/print

...I would have thought that the responsibility to pay for this would be hers. If its her that wants this done because they want the child to be adopted, then they should pay for it. :)

I don't think having you removed from the birth certificate has to be done before an adoption can take place. They would apply to court and you as the named father would need to sign that you agree to the adoption.

I think Coram Childrens Legal Centre might be able to help, so we can ask them to drop by and advise you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: j2, dgreen2406

Mum and Grandmother, supporting my son who has residency of his son.
I want to see a much fairer system in place, where Dads and their children have a voice that can be heard.
There are many groups of people that have equal rights within our society and its about time Dads were given equal rights too.
Last Edit: by Nannyjane.

remove me from the birth certificate 5 years 6 months ago #61982

Hi dgreen2406

You can remove your name from the child’s birth certificate by applying to the General Registry Office. You can complete the form found on the website below;

www.gov.uk/correct-birth-registration/how-to-apply .

You will need to provide a DNA test to prove you are not the child’s biological father. You will need to ensure that you use a DNA testing provider that the General Registry Office will recognise. If you contact them on 0300 123 1837, they should be able to give you more advice on this.

There is no fee for the application to remove your name from the birth certificate, however there will be a fee for the DNA test to be carried out.

There are no obligations on you to contribute to the cost of the DNA test.

If you would like any further advice, please call us on our free advice line on 0808 802 0008

Kind Regards

CORAM CHILDREN’S LEGAL CENTRE
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nannyjane, dgreen2406

Coram Children's Legal Centre
Free Legal Advice
www.childrenslegalcentre.com
Dadtalk Legal Advisors

remove me from the birth certificate 5 years 6 months ago #61997

• actd
  • Thank you received: 1744
my advice is that you pay nothing to her, but pay any bills yourself directly, and also don't reply on her to complete any forms - do it all yourself. If you don't get this done though, there is the potential that she could go to the CMS claiming maintenance from you, and you'd be liable up to the point where a DNA test was done - you might be able to claim the cost of the DNA test back from CMS, but the maintenance owing up to that point would stand, so realistically, you may as well accept that there will be a cost to doing this, and chalk it up to experience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dgreen2406

• Page:
Moderators: Samantha Downes