TOPIC: Opening speech

Opening speech 5 years 6 months ago #62868

• Gian
  • Gian's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi

Does anyone have advice about the first hearing and the opening speech by the LIP?

i am not sure how much I can say at the first hearing or if aI get to say anything at all. If I don't like the CAFCASS report, can I defend it at the first hearing?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Opening speech 5 years 6 months ago #62869

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 303
Hi there

You don't really need to prepare an opening speech.

Have a look through the stickies at the top of the Legal Eagle section, there's some good advice to be had there and there's a link to some videos that are really helpful.

Lucy Reed's book, Family Court Without a Lawyer is an excellent resource.

As the applicant, the judge will ask you first what it is you would like the court to do. It's a good idea to prepare a short position statement, lay out a bit of background, any concerns you have and what you would like the court to do. Try to keep it to 2 pages if possible & you will need to take 4 copies of it with you.

With regard to Cafcass, don't be surprised if the first time you see their safeguarding letter is an hour before the hearing, if you do get it before, you can say why you disagree or agree with their recommendations in your statement, Otherwise you will have to discuss this during the hearing.

The court don't always go with the Cafcass recommendations, it always depends on the individual judge.

Good luck

Mum and Step Mum, supporting my partner through the Family Court maze. I feel passionately about children having a right to a relationship with both parents and am currently in training to be an MF.

Opening speech 5 years 6 months ago #62877

• Gian
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you 1626

I am going to call CAFCASS to see if i can get the report out of them before hand............

Opening speech 5 years 6 months ago #62878

• Gian
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I forgot to say, that i cannot find the 'stickys' at the top pot the Legal Eagle page

Opening speech 5 years 6 months ago #62884

• Nannyjane
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Nanny knows best!
  • Thank you received: 1583

Mum and Grandmother, supporting my son who has residency of his son.
I want to see a much fairer system in place, where Dads and their children have a voice that can be heard.
There are many groups of people that have equal rights within our society and its about time Dads were given equal rights too.
Last Edit: by Nannyjane.
  • Page:
Moderators: Samantha Downes