• Page:

TOPIC: Is it Worth Using a Barrister

Is it Worth Using a Barrister 4 years 5 months ago #64064

I suspect this question has been asked many times before on this forum but is there a real benefit in employing a barrister to represent me in court, especially if in most cases the judge follows CAFCAS advice anyway? I have just sent my court application in for a Child Arrangement Order and shared residence. Its a relatively straight forward case (i.e. no history of violence, abuse etc). Just a very uncooperative and bitter ex. Would I be able to do it all for the £7k to £10k (court fees, solicitor, barrister etc) I've recently been told? Only firm cost from the barrister so far is £600 fixed fee for the initial hearing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Jim310743.

Is it Worth Using a Barrister 4 years 5 months ago #64066

• actd
  • Thank you received: 1670
From the sound of it, you seem happy that you can argue the case coherently in court, in which case, I would say that you should be able to represent yourself. You could always look at a MacKenzie's friend if you want some additional support (though they can't speak in court) which is a very low cost option in comparison, while still getting excellent help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: j2

Last Edit: by actd.

Is it Worth Using a Barrister 4 years 5 months ago #64130

If you have the budget - then yes.

MJ & DJ (typically) listen more to Barristers than LIP - as they are likely to see the same Barrister time and time again.
Barristers understand the MJ/DJ tone/ wording and can push for orders quicker...especially if you're going for shared care.

Last Edit: by Loving_Dad.
  • Page:
Moderators: Samantha Downes