• Page:

TOPIC: Pension sharing

Pension sharing 4 years 1 month ago #65546

Hi,
I have received correspondence from my STBX's solicitor.
They are asking for one half of both of my pensions. One is deferred and one is active and both are defined benefit schemes.
She has her own pension arrangements. Two are deferred (one is a defined benefit plan and one is a defined contribution plan) and she is currently paying into a GPP Plan.

My total pension pot is £116k vs hers at £16k. I was expecting a sharing to level the pots so in effect £50k taken from my side.
She has taken advice from an IFA who has gathered information on both my pension arrangements (with my consent) and has recommended that she has half of both schemes transferred into her name and set up as a deferred member in both plans.

There is no mention about me claiming pension sharing from her schemes. She will therefore have a pension pot valued more than what I will be left with.

My deferred scheme has a CETV of £45k and my active scheme has a CETV of £71k
If she had pension sharing at half, in my deferred scheme she would have £22.5k and the active, it would be £35.5k plus her own £16k, all totalling £74k whereas I would have £58k.

Am I within my rights to agree to her request to have half of mine on the basis that I also have half of hers?

I cannot afford legal advice at this time although I will pay for a solicitor to go through the draft clean break before I sign

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pension sharing 4 years 1 month ago #65552

• Mojo
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1763
Hi there

Not being an expert, but I believe you will be entitled to half of hers too, definitely put it on the table.

DadTalk Moderator... I'm not legally trained and my responses are my own views based on my experiences of the family court. I have plenty of common sense and can offer you emotional support and guide you to answers.

Pension sharing 4 years 1 month ago #65553

• Mojo
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1763
The following user(s) said Thank You: Devastateddad41

DadTalk Moderator... I'm not legally trained and my responses are my own views based on my experiences of the family court. I have plenty of common sense and can offer you emotional support and guide you to answers.

Pension sharing 4 years 1 month ago #65554

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 303
I'm no expert in financial matters but believe the same as Mojo is correct. You are both entitled to half of each others so worth putting forward.

Mum and Step Mum, supporting my partner through the Family Court maze. I feel passionately about children having a right to a relationship with both parents and am currently in training to be an MF.

Pension sharing 4 years 1 month ago #65589

• actd
  • Thank you received: 1608
Hi DD,

I know you said you can't afford legal advice at this time, but I'd really suggest you try to pay for 30 minutes just to cover this topic and get specific legal advice - I think it could reap benefits in the long run - by the time an agreement is drawn up, it may be too late to backtrack. At the very least, go and see the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Don't forget, her IFA is acting in her best interests, which isn't the same thing as what is fair to both of you.

• Page:
Moderators: Samantha Downes