• Page:

TOPIC: Skeleton Argument for fact finding

Skeleton Argument for fact finding 5 years 2 months ago #70044

• BMurkin
  • BMurkin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
I've received the bundle index from ex-wifes solicitor for the Fact Finding hearing and there is a slot for the Applicant and Respondents Skeleton argument, in addition to the position statements.

There is no mention anywhere in the court order about us writing a skeleton argument.

I have a public access barrister and she seemed suprised that we have to write one and informed me that the fixed fee she charged me for the fact finding didnt include this. So I asked her to quote me how much it will cost, waiting for a reply.

- do you think, to save money, I can do it myself?

- how much will it roughly cost to write a skeeton argument? She is charging me £900 (inc VAT) for a one day fact finding in London. She was the cheapest I could find and she's good.

- do we need one? its not mentioned in the court order so do we need to write one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Skeleton Argument for fact finding 5 years 2 months ago #70051

Hi,
I don't have much knowledge on this i'm afriad I will ask someone who does to try and advise you.
GTTS

Skeleton Argument for fact finding 5 years 2 months ago #70056

• Yoda
  • Thank you received: 464
Morning BM, here is a link to bundle practice direction

www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rule...rections/pd_part_27a

As the court have not directed you to provide a skeleton argument, this would not be mandatory which is why your barrister is probably surprised about it. See if your barrister feels it is necessary to have one written.

Here is a link to creating an SA if you decide to undertake this yourself.

www.separateddads.co.uk/creating-skeleto...ument-for-court.html

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck

DAD.info Moderator

I have several years experience supporting parents in family proceedings as a McKenzie Friend. I am, however, not a lawyer or barrister and my responses are based on my own opinions or experiences of the family court.

Skeleton Argument for fact finding 5 years 2 months ago #70064

• BMurkin
  • BMurkin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
My barrister said she wont be writing one since its not in the order and she doesn't want to give away my case to the other side. If that makes sense.

The other side will be drafting one though. Will it give them any advantage?

Skeleton Argument for fact finding 5 years 2 months ago #70068

• Yoda
  • Thank you received: 464
It won't give them an advantage if they provide one and you don't. If anything, they will show their hand and you don't have to as court haven't ordered it.

To be fair, most of what goes into a Skeleton Argument will already be in your statements and reports.

DAD.info Moderator

I have several years experience supporting parents in family proceedings as a McKenzie Friend. I am, however, not a lawyer or barrister and my responses are based on my own opinions or experiences of the family court.

Skeleton Argument for fact finding 5 years 2 months ago #70071

• Mojo
  • Thank you received: 1815
Agree with your barrister and Yoda...if it wasn't ordered then why do it. Let them show their hand.

DadTalk Moderator... I'm not legally trained and my responses are my own views based on my experiences of the family court. I have plenty of common sense and can offer you emotional support and guide you to answers.

Skeleton Argument for fact finding 5 years 2 months ago #70142

Completely agree with the feedback as above. I won't bother but you can draft one out and have in your folder to help you focus on your points in the hearing. I won't be money well spent.

• Page:
Moderators: Samantha Downes