family arrangements and personal drb barred lists 5 years 1 month ago #70373

• samson
  • samson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,
I need some help......
My former partner wishes contact after 3 years with our daughter.
My daughter lives with me,
No contact in 3 yrs.
My partner has no parental rights at present.
She is a recovering alchoholic and drug user.
She has psychological and physical issues that are documented.
CAFACSS has recommended supervised contact.
a family member on their side, who has had NO contact with my child has been put forward.

I expected that the supervisor would have checks done for suitability, but I have been told that as they are a family member, that enharced DRB's will not be done. If they were a stranger then they would be done. This will check whether someone’s included in the 2 DBS ‘barred lists’ (previously called ISA barred lists) of individuals who are unsuitable for working with: children and adults.

Also as they are doing supervision which if a stranger did it, it would be classed as a regulated activity, This is because my ex will not be the primary carer for my child as they are classed as unsuitable to be alone with them.

for the difference of £18 to ensure that a virtual stranger who will have primary care over my child is safe I don't understand why they are not done. The chance to assess the safety of my child is taken away from me and taken over by the state. That same state does not afford the same rights to private cases as it does to public cases. if my child was in foster care the checks would be done. so surely if the state insist that they know best why are they not delivering that to the children that it claims that their safety and welfare are their upmost concern.
what can I do other than state that ill pay the difference and refuse contact until the checks are done.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

family arrangements and personal drb barred lists 5 years 1 month ago #70374

• Yoda
  • Thank you received: 464
To be honest, it's not something I have much experience of and seems ridiculous that the same level of check would not be carried out. Usually when a parent has been deemed unsuitable, if their partner is nominated to assist with contact - enhanced checks are undertaken.

If you have any concerns about this family member, this could be a point to raise as well as offering to pay the difference. I will make some enquiries to see if I can find anything further to assist you.

Good luck

DAD.info Moderator

I have several years experience supporting parents in family proceedings as a McKenzie Friend. I am, however, not a lawyer or barrister and my responses are based on my own opinions or experiences of the family court.

family arrangements and personal drb barred lists 5 years 1 month ago #70429

Cafcass will carry out safeguarding checks on the nominated supervisor - the same data that would should show on the CRB checks.

The advantage of a nominated individual vs an organisation is progression into the community and consistency for the child [they have to trust two individuals per session (parent and supervisor)]. If the all clear was given, I see no reason for you to be anxious.

The bigger topic is how to prepare you child for the positive reintroduction of the other parent back into their life, hoping for the best.

Last Edit: by halfoyster.

family arrangements and personal drb barred lists 5 years 1 month ago #70441

• Mojo
  • Thank you received: 1815
As this is a recommendation and hadn't been ordered yet (I'm assuming) as the RP you can raise concerns yourself about the suitability of CAFCASS proposals and perhaps make alternative suggestions that you feel would be more in your childs interests....maybe you could propose a family member from your side?

DadTalk Moderator... I'm not legally trained and my responses are my own views based on my experiences of the family court. I have plenty of common sense and can offer you emotional support and guide you to answers.

• Page:
Moderators: Samantha Downes