• Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: doctors appointment

doctors appointment 4 years 10 months ago #71647

hi all

my ex takes my kids to doctors and dosent tell me te outcome or when she does impies its my fault. my daughter has had anxiety and apparantly its because of me. i know my ex has difficuty accepting me as a father i already have joint custody on a 70/30 in her favour and since then 3 years ago i have had 2 SS invetigations and threats from her calling SS when she wants to control me.

can i have seperate appointments with the doctor is that legal to have updates from them and if my ex does take my children to gp are they obliged by law to talk to me regarding the kids.

what is the current legl stand point

thanks all

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by lovingdaddy.

doctors appointment 4 years 10 months ago #71651


If you have parental responsibility (PR), for things like "planned medical treatment" each parent has a responsibility to "inform and consult" the other parent. The sticking point here is if a visit to a GP constitutes "planned medical treatment" - and the answer to that would depend on the nature of the problem and, perhaps, how long it has lasted.

You mention your ex is "blaming" you and not keeping you informed. Implacably hostile parents can sometimes exaggerate problems a child may have, or use them as weapons to "guilt-trip" the other parent...In terms of the law, and the welfare checklist - there is an argument that one parent over exposing a child to *unnecessary* medical treatment is detrimental to the child's emotional well-being. Especially if this is done without informing and consulting the other parent. I am not saying your child does not have a genuine issue (or that their mother is engaging in this sort of behaviour) - but it is something to bear in mind.

Regarding the legal standpoint of "updates" or other information about a child's medical records, this is a bit more tricky, because there are scenarios when a child may have given information to a doctor in confidence (think abuse, or for older teenagers think birth control, etc). So it is not *always* a case that a parent can have access to all records. The child still needs to give consent if they are old enough to (you do not state the age of the children involved).

That said, if you are in England and if the child is young and you have parental responsibility then it is likely a GP would discuss your child's health with you if you made an appointment to do this. GPs should not care about your marital status - you are still a parent (with PR) of this child. You do not have to discuss this with the receptionist (who may or may not know the law).

If you are refused by your GP - then you should put your request in writing with evidence that you have PR (a child's birth certificate or marriage/divorce certificate, etc) and send it to your GP's practice and to your local health authority (the structure of health authorities has changed recently - so this may require a bit of digging as to who exactly you send the letter to).

On a slightly different point, remember that father's with PR have a right to be informed about schooling also - and schools are obliged to have on their register parents with PR (assuming there is not a court order preventing contact between a child and a parent).

Hope that helps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by TashasHideousLaugh.

doctors appointment 4 years 10 months ago #71656

  • Mojo
  • Mojo's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 8561
  • Thank you received: 1815

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DadTalk Moderator... I'm not legally trained and my responses are my own views based on my experiences of the family court. I have plenty of common sense and can offer you emotional support and guide you to answers.

  • Page:
  • 1
Moderators: Samantha Downes