TOPIC: Loss of contact

Loss of contact 3 years 7 months ago #73639

• Cox44
  • Cox44's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all
I hope your all enjoying your bank holiday weekend!
what can I do to try and contact my 2 boys 7 and 6. Without been seen as harassing?

I have been separated for 4/5 years now and we have managed to sort things out reasonably amicably. I've had reasonable access to my sons. And at times we get on. We have done things together over the years for the boys sake. There's been many times I've helped her out when the cars broke down etc..
The most recent contact arrangements are we alternate weekends. She drops boys to me Friday nights and I take them back 6pm Sunday's. I pick them up from school on Tuesday's and drop them back at 6.30pm
Monday just gone I received a letter from her solicitor stating their applying to court to regulate contact and will not agree to further contact until reviewed by court. A couple of other things I won't go into now.

I went to collect them from school as usual on Tuesday to find she had taken them from school early.
It's meant to be my weekend with them this weekend but I can't see that happening now.

I know I have to respond to solicitors letter. It could take months to go to court/if it does
I would like to know what she has told them why they haven't seen me.
And of course I want some form of contact with my boys. Can I call her and ask to speak to them?
Any help appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Loss of contact 3 years 7 months ago #73642

• Yoda
  • Thank you received: 440
Hi there, if the arrangement you have had was in the form of a court order, if corresponding with the solicitor does not work then you can apply to the court for enforcement.

If this has been an informal agreement, in the first instance you can write back to the solicitor asking that contact be reinstated. A solicitor cannot make either of you do anything, only a court can do that. If you want to discuss the other things in the letter in privacy, feel free to pm one of us moderators.

Should either of you wish to take this to court you will have to attempt mediation first, it is mandatory to do this before making an application to court.

In the interim, you could try to text or email her asking to speak with your children or to have contact unless the solicitor's letter has expressly said that you should not. I wouldn't do anything over the phone as you leave yourself open to allegations. Try to keep any communication with your ex to a written format.

Good luck

DAD.info Moderator

I have several years experience supporting parents in family proceedings as a McKenzie Friend. I am, however, not a lawyer or barrister and my responses are based on my own opinions or experiences of the family court.

Loss of contact 3 years 7 months ago #73722

Hi There,
I agree with Yoda, be careful how you comunicate with your ideally now she has instructed a solicitor you should really do as much as possible through them or you risk your ex claiming harrasment, I would write to the solicitor outlining what contact you had and that you would like it re started without court process, Maybe suggest mediation in your letter if your ex has concerns that she feels need addressing, as Yoda has said mediation is now mandatory before applying to court anyway so getting that out the way would be a good start.
You could even find a mediator and start the process, as the mediator would contact your ex directly inviting her to attend.
If you want to discuss any details you don't want to place on the public forum then as said private message any of us and we will discuss these with you and give you some pointers.
GTTS

• Page:
Moderators: Samantha Downes