TOPIC: Final Hearing - Cafcass to attend

Final Hearing - Cafcass to attend 5 days 12 hours ago #97825

• Ldad
  • Ldad's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Hey All,

My partners final hearing is approaching and i was wondering if anyone has been in the same situation?

He has a pre final hearing to last 30 minutes? Any ideas what will be done in this hearing?

He then has his final hearing a month later. The last hearing was pushed back as the judge wanted the cafcass officer, whom carried out the s7 report to be present, but it seems they no longer work for cafcass. Will they have a replacement? And could this cafcass officer have different views to those recommended in the S7 report or will they follow what the original cafcass officer recommended?

The case also moved courts, and in the letter it said that it may be seen by lay - is this magistrates? My partner put in specific issue to take his child abroad, but i'm pretty sure magistrates can't grant this? Should this be raised in the pre-final hearing?

Any suggestions for the above?

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Final Hearing - Cafcass to attend 5 days 1 hour ago #97839

• Mojo
  • Thank you received: 1640
Hi there

It’s like a review, a short hearing to make sure everything is ready for the final hearing to go ahead.

Sometimes a final hearing doesn’t end up being a final hearing, how long ago was the S7 prepared? The magistrates might want an addendum to the report if they feel too much time has elapsed.

Bit strange to move the case down to magistrates, but I guess if the case is to address a specific issue then it’s within their remit and can be granted by magistrates.

If you have any queries, it would be as well to raise them at the pre hearing.

Best of luck

DadTalk Moderator...

I'm not a lawyer or barrister and my responses are based on my own opinions or experiences of the family court.

I may not be legally trained... but I have plenty of experience and common sense!

Final Hearing - Cafcass to attend 4 days 15 hours ago #97846

• Ldad
  • Ldad's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Thanks Mojo (as always)

The S7 report was done in July 2018. Unforunately Cafcass did not submit the report in time for their hearing in July so it was pushed back to October.

In October, we thought that would be the final hearing but as the parents could not come to a mutual agreement, the judge pushed it back stating they wanted the cafcass officer to attend.

My partner recently contacted the cafcass officer but their email and number is no longer in use. The last thing we want is to turn up at the final hearing and they say, the cafcass officer is not here, postpone the case.

It is not definitely being moved to magistrates but the letter did say there was a possibility of that happening.

Final Hearing - Cafcass to attend 4 days 10 hours ago #97856

• Mojo
  • Thank you received: 1640
You should be able to contact the cafcass office, it might be worth calling and asking if there will be an officer in attendance... Explain that the judge pushed the hearing back, as he wanted the reporting officer to attend court, which won’t now be possible.

As said, mention any concerns at the pre hearing.

All the best

DadTalk Moderator...

I'm not a lawyer or barrister and my responses are based on my own opinions or experiences of the family court.

I may not be legally trained... but I have plenty of experience and common sense!

• Page:
Moderators: Samantha Downes