• Page:

TOPIC: Ex stopping me from seeing son due to coronavirus

Ex stopping me from seeing son due to coronavirus 2 weeks 2 days ago #104932

• BMurkin
  • BMurkin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
I see my son every other weekend, once a week and half all school holidays. I live 30min drive from ex.

Just got a message from her saying overnight should stop until outbreak is over.

Son is healthy, so is she and myself. So I dont see the issue.

Can she do this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ex stopping me from seeing son due to coronavirus 2 weeks 2 days ago #104933

Is their a child arrangement order in place? I am pretty sure she cannot stop you seeing them because of this. You may just have to put her mind at ease and tell her you will only have your child at your house and you will not take him to crowded areas?

I have not had it confirmed yet, but I think my ex is going to do the same thing to me. She is still allowing her parents to look after them (they are well in to their 70's) and I dont feel as though they should be looking after them as they both have under lying medical conditions too. I think this virus is going to upset a lot of people.

Ex stopping me from seeing son due to coronavirus 2 weeks 2 days ago #104937

• BMurkin
  • BMurkin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Yes we have a child arrangement order.

Ex stopping me from seeing son due to coronavirus 2 weeks 2 days ago #104938

If there are no symptoms then contact should go ahead as per the court order. I would give your ex some comfort and confirm that you will be taking precuationary measures to protect the children (i.e. away from gatherings etc...)

The issue is that too many of the ex partners will be seeing this as a golden opportunity to obstruct contact and given the recent govenment guidance, I cannot see the courts entertaining any enforcement applications at this stage with a great deal of urgency. The time requires us just to try and remain amicable with the other parent.

Ex stopping me from seeing son due to coronavirus 2 weeks 1 day ago #104939

hi,

tell your ex that you will just keep your son indoors at your place. if she still refuses, you could contact your local social services and ask them to have a word with her about it. may sound silly, but in the past i had to contact them because ex was not letting me see the kids. they were helpful and spoke to her. they should be able to give good guidance. you could also ask her to speak to her GP for advice on this.

Ex stopping me from seeing son due to coronavirus 2 weeks 1 day ago #104967

• Ldad
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
I definitely think that many non resident parent's will be facing the same issue, and it is a shame.

My personal opinion is that contact should not be stopped unless the child or anyone in the household of the child is experiences symptoms in which case they should self isolate for 14 days and contact should resume after (given that the non reaidents household does not start or experience symptoms).

I don't think collecting your child or having your child dropped off using private transport i.e a personal vehicle should be an issue. I would not classified it as non essential as it is safe to do so and it is essential and in the child's interest to have contact with both parents.

The issue with leaving contact until the breakout is over is that no one knows how long this is actually going to be going on for, so refusing contact with the child for that amount of time cannot be in their best interest and will be a backwards step for a lot of non resident parents having to 'rebuild' their relationship with their child.

Obviously reassure the other parent that you will be taking precautions, and having the child's well-being as priority meaning you will not be taking them out for non essential travel.

Can she do this? Matter of opinion but I don't think it would stand if all health and safety factors were considered and it's deemed safe to have contact especially within the government guidelines.

Good luck!

• Page:
Moderators: Samantha Downes