• Page:

TOPIC: Exploitation of legal aid system

Exploitation of legal aid system 1 week 5 days ago #105138

Hi,

I am totally bewildered how my ex has managed to get legal aid for domestic abuse. I am the polar opposite of abusive (she went on holiday with her ex for a week and I didn't mind etc). Consequently, I am very concerned how open this system is to being exploited. Fortunately I am able to afford legal representation but I am worried about other fathers who might be on the end of an exploited system but cannot afford representation and how this might impact their ability to see their children.

I do not have a criminal record, I am an ex teacher, I now work in higher education, there has never been any police involvement apart from when my ex tried to get me in trouble for harassment after I sent 3 emails asking to see my child. This was clearly a non-starter as the emails were business like.

I am going to stick my neck out here and from what I can see this has to have arisen from a supporting letter from Women's Aid. Any evidence would be formalised hear-say evidence as I am a very mild mannered individual and wouldn't say boo to a goose.

Has anyone else noticed this is happening? If this has happened to me it could happen to 99% of the population as I am very easy going.

Are there any groups I can join or input into? I am very concerned about this. It feels like a travesty of justice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Exploitation of legal aid system 1 week 5 days ago #105140

hi,

i can understand completely. when i first went through court system last year, same thing happened to me. never laid a finger on my ex. however her solicitors made legal aid application, citing domestic/emotional abuse nonsense. her solicitor even had the cheek to email me, asking if i agree to postpone the first hearing, to wait for mothers legal aid to come through :p

it did come through eventually. but then i reported her to legal aid agency for fraud. like you i dont have a police record or anything. legal aid is also income-assesed. I knew she had a big stash of savings in her account. so legal aid agency revoked her aid. :p

it was a good move, as now she has foolishly pushed me back into going court by breaking order. but atleast now she has to pay for a lawyer, while i just self-represent now.

if you suspect her claim to be fraudulent, you can report it:

www.gov.uk/guidance/legal-aid-agency-special-investigations

Last Edit: by Bill337.

Exploitation of legal aid system 1 week 5 days ago #105152

It's totally bonkers isn't it.

Something is clearly going wrong when false allegations of domestic abuse are allowed through. I imagine this could be really detrimental to someone else if their ex knew how to play the system.

I have been through all the documents which are needed as evidence and the only one I can come up with that would be permissible is "a domestic violence support service" god knows how she ended up at Women's aid in order to get such a letter. She had such an easy life. I have a feeling that when you are in the system you are told which hoops you need to jump through.

I can't see how hearsay evidence formalised as a letter of support should suffice as evidence.

I did report her to that agency. Her Solicitor sent my Solicitor her medical evidence which had her address redacted on the first page but not the third. At that point I thought this has just become ridiculous. It was never necessary to redact her address in the first place. Last person I would voluntarily want to see is my ex!

She is on benefits and I am a high earner. She won't have high savings, just a couple of thousand i gave her.

Did everything work out for you in the end?

Exploitation of legal aid system 1 week 5 days ago #105157

hi,

well last year it did work out. was not allowed to keep kids overnight, so went to court. got sorted out. back in court process again since end of january, as ex messing around with court order.

• Page:
Moderators: Samantha Downes