• Page:

TOPIC: Release of position Statements

Release of position Statements 1 month 4 days ago #107899

Today I received an email from my GP who has been given copies of Position Statements from court hearings in November last year, we believe by my ex who has had him arrange appointments for our daughter who is in my 100% care. She only has supervised direct contacts now.

Is she allowed to share these position statements to the family court with people? The Guardian was alarmed and thought these are confidential and told the GP to destroy them.

Is there a process to report these documents being released in this way?

Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Release of position Statements 1 month 4 days ago #107905

hi,

that sounds dodgy. generally the court case and documents/names of children should not be disclosed to any third parties. if there is an upcoming court hearing, you should report this to court, using your own position statements, and raising issue in court.

Release of position Statements 1 month 4 days ago #107914

• actd
  • Thank you received: 1733
to the best of my knowledge, the only documents that can be released to relevant parties are the actual court orders, and then only if it's relevant to the welfare of the child, so school, carers and possibly GP. I believe that to release any other documents is contempt of court.
Strictly speaking, when my son asked to look at the documents for my own court case with my daughters (my son was 16 at the time, so not a subject of the orders), I should have refused, though I did let him see them so he knew what had gone on.

Release of position Statements 1 month 4 days ago #107916

Thanks for the reply - that's an interesting point.

People have said to keep all the papers to let our daughter see in the future what happened and why - while the papers are about that child, is she allowed to read them?

I'm not saying I would want her to read some of this stuff that has been said, so have an awful lot of shredding to do.

Surely, there must also be a time limit we have to keep them for and then destroy??

Release of position Statements 1 month 4 days ago #107920

• actd
  • Thank you received: 1733
My view is that once children are 16 (or the youngest is 16 if more than one), then they wouldn't be subject to court orders after that, so could be destroyed after that, perhaps keep until age 18 to be safe.

With regards to whether your daughter should see them - perhaps when she gets to age 18, tell her you are going to destroy them, and ask her if she'd like to see them before you do.

Last Edit: by actd.
  • Page:
Moderators: Samantha Downes