• Page:

TOPIC: ex moving

ex moving 4 weeks 2 days ago #110405

Can a mum move 45 mins away witht he kids if dad sees them on some school days? Dad sees them around his work so hes not working when he has them its about 6days a month but thats still a lot of driving

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ex moving 4 weeks 2 days ago #110406

• actd
  • Thank you received: 1755
Assuming not moving across the england/scotland border, then yes, the mum can. The dad can apply to court to prevent it, but if there is a good reason for moving (and not just to stop the father from having contact), a court is likely to allow it. It would be better to agree on an amended contact schedule if at all possible.

ex moving 4 weeks 2 days ago #110409

how can you stop it? she already applied to court for permission

ex moving 4 weeks 2 days ago #110410

she says its so she can work better and have support as she got no family near and kids don't need childcare if she moves but its to live with her partner. she says she will drop off and give money towards petrol, can i stop it as it means i have to drive them 45 mins for school if i have them? she says contact stays same

ex moving 4 weeks 2 days ago #110414

• actd
  • Thank you received: 1755
Being frank, I don't think you'd be able to stop it - the courts have given permission and all of the reasons she has given are valid (including moving in with her partner). The best way forwards is to see what compromises can be made, such as changing weekday contact for extra weekend or holiday contact.

ex moving 4 weeks 2 days ago #110415

hi,

my ex lives with kids 20-30 mins away. but when I am doing school runs, this can take over an hour sometimes because of horrendous traffic. I don't think the court will prevent her from moving. she does sound reasonable, offering to drop off kids and pay for petrol.

what you could do is ask for more flexibility, like have the kids with you for some extra nights during term and holidays.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer or trained professional. I am not in a position to give legal advice. Please consult a qualified professional for legal advice.
Last Edit: by Bill337.

ex moving 4 weeks 2 days ago #110422

She has ticked all the right boxes so your best approach is to agree a schedule which would work for the children post the relocation of your ex. You will struggle to secure any weekday overnights but are you able to do play and supper.

I'm not sure what weekend contact you have at the moment but going forward, you could suggest Fri to Mon every other weekend with some additional time during holidays.

My ex did the same a year ago, she relocated without notice but little did she know that I would move to within 300 yards of her new place of residence. Just a thought if it is possible for you...

ex moving 4 weeks 1 day ago #110430

I think if he is able to do weekday overnights and his ex agrees, it can be done. I do a weekday overnight, though on average it can take almost an hour for school run.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer or trained professional. I am not in a position to give legal advice. Please consult a qualified professional for legal advice.

ex moving 4 weeks 1 day ago #110433

I would get it agreed in family court as an agreed variation to order that you are happy for her to move. However its on the understanding that she drops off son/daughter to dads house after school and he drops off son/daughter to school in morning.

A family court wouldnt prevent her move as shes not obstructing contact in anyway and is happy for it to continue.
You could even ask if you are having pick up every other friday if you can drop your child into school on monday morning instead of sunday afternoon if thats what is happening at moment.

ex moving 4 weeks 1 day ago #110435

works shifts so cant change access days. what about school as they like there school and its a good school?

ex moving 4 weeks 11 hours ago #110440

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do. Ex partner is not stopping contact and is trying to be reasonable.
A lot of ex partners move so you cant see your children midweek during school term time

ex moving 4 weeks 8 hours ago #110445

agree with Warwick. some ex' move to other side of country (or even another country!), hundreds of miles away, to make child contact almost impossible. your ex is being reasonable by offering to drop off kids and pay for travel cost. my kids have moved school twice in less than 2 years. I live just few miles away from them, but school run takes an hour due to traffic. Court told me if school runs cause issue with work, I can simply find a more flexible job.

• Page:
Moderators: Samantha Downes