• Page:

TOPIC: Not on birth certificate!

Not on birth certificate! 1 month 3 weeks ago #110918

• Btp93
  • Btp93's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi guys 1St post here. Basically I have a new born daughter (6weeks old today) me and the mother broke up after a very short relationship early on in the pregnancy. She’s now registered the baby without putting me down as father, she’s saying I need to prove I’m going to be a good dad and support them financially and emotionally. I don’t trust her after this and know she can do anything she wants with my daughter and I have no say. I’ve looked in to declaration of parantage etc, do I need a solicitor to do this? As I’ve been told that could cost a pretty penny, or can I just “represent myself” and still have a good chance of winning?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Not on birth certificate! 1 month 3 weeks ago #110920

hi,

you can self-represent and apply for parentage with form C63:

www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-...-family-law-act-1986

it costs £365 to make this application according to this doc:

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/governm.../904862/ex50-eng.pdf

before birth certificate issue you may want to think about access to your child. if she will not allow access, then I think you should first apply for a child arrangements order. c100 form.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Btp93

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer or trained professional. I am not in a position to give legal advice. Please consult a qualified professional for legal advice.
Last Edit: by Bill337.

Not on birth certificate! 1 month 3 weeks ago #110922

• Btp93
  • Btp93's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the reply, luckily she is currently allowing access, all be it only an hour or 2 per week

Not on birth certificate! 1 month 3 weeks ago #110925

ok. she's being reasonable with access. I would suggest that you look to having the child spend a couple more hours with you after she turns 1. Eventually you would want her spending whole weekends with you as she gets older. hopefully you won't have to go to court over this.

be mindful though that any court application (about birth cert etc) could make her instantly hostile and she may stop you seeing your child.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer or trained professional. I am not in a position to give legal advice. Please consult a qualified professional for legal advice.
Last Edit: by Bill337.

Not on birth certificate! 1 month 3 weeks ago #110944

• Yoda
  • Thank you received: 464
If you have contact in place and things are relatively amicable, perhaps consider holding off on the birth certificate issue for the time being? As bill has said, if you start court proceedings now, it could make her suspend contact?

I wholeheartedly agree that you will need to do this at some point in the near future, but even if you have parental responsibility via being named on the bc, she can still pick and choose what contact takes place.

I would tread carefully for now.

DAD.info Moderator

I have several years experience supporting parents in family proceedings as a McKenzie Friend. I am, however, not a lawyer or barrister and my responses are based on my own opinions or experiences of the family court.

Not on birth certificate! 1 month 6 days ago #111247

I would say hold of too

After age 1 or 2 is important tho when ever you think is right time for full weekends

Not on birth certificate! 1 month 6 days ago #111253

This is a tricky situation. Your ex could stop contact for any reason, eg if you don't provide enough money etc. However 1st couple of years are important and you probably will not come across a need to prove that you are the parent due to childs age etc.

In the meantime you can research the process as you are and if your ex does stop contact then press ahead as others have suggested.

If you slowly build up contact and maintain it without rocking the boat and then your ex tried to stop contact it will be easier to go through the courts as you will be able to say you have been having contact and want to continue the same. Just keep a record of every time you see your daughter, for how long etc.

All the best.

Not on birth certificate! 1 month 6 days ago #111256

• actd
  • Thank you received: 1769
Definitely keep a record of contact as it happens, that could be extremely useful in the future.

Not on birth certificate! 1 month 5 days ago #111259

Offer alot more maintenance but only once your named on the birth cert.

Once your named dont follow through with putting the money up lol

• Page:
Moderators: Samantha Downes