• Page:

TOPIC: What are you reading?

What are you reading? 6 years 6 months ago #22738

I have recently acquired a Kindle (other e-readers are available - but not according to Amazon!!) and downloaded all the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child. I have read one or two of them and really enjoy them.

I am currently on book 3 and going through them at the rate of one per week - good thing is that the Kindle is easy to take to work and then I get away from my desk at lunchtime.

So what are you currently reading?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: What are you reading? 6 years 6 months ago #22758

I'm more into Sci-fi & fantasy. I've seen the adverts for lee child, which is crime isn't it? Always looked quite 'dark', borderring on horror. Is it?

A friend of mine has had some really good reviews of his book - Selah: A rebellious hope, which is a fantasy book on kindle (hmmm am I allowed to plug that????)

On the Sci-fi side Peter F Hamilton is my favourite author, but his books are very long and in trilogies - this is not everyone's cup of tea. Early Iain.M.Banks was brilliant - but his more recent books cross over into horror, and I can't read them :(

Re: What are you reading? 6 years 6 months ago #22760

Also I downloaded free copy of war of the worlds ( eldest is doing it at school). With interest in Sherlock Holmes there were a few free versions on kindle - I paid 1.50, for a version that was proof read and formatted! (Sorry shallow...)

I really enjoyed both the bbc Sherlock Holmes and the films.

Re: What are you reading? 6 years 6 months ago #22818

No Jack Reacher is an ex army guy who gets involved in a number of situations - always gets the girl - and always sorts everyone out.

Very well written and if you like James Patterson or Jack Higgins then you'll like these

I can' believe that he is 6'5" weighs 230lbs and is to be played by Tom Cruise!!! What next Graham Norton to play Don Corleone in a remake of the Godfather?

Re: What are you reading? 6 years 6 months ago #22838

I'm a bit out of touch with reading, of late. When I do read, I tend to enjoy historical WW2 books such as those by Stephen Ambrose or Max Hastings. A good example is Das Reich, which is a phenominal read and an incredible insight into the French resistance's fight against The Reich.

N.D.

Re: What are you reading? 6 years 5 months ago #22942

Super Mario wrote: - always gets the girl - and always sorts everyone out.

Ahhh - sounds all right

Super Mario wrote: I can' believe that he is 6'5" weighs 230lbs and is to be played by Tom Cruise!!! What next Graham Norton to play Don Corleone in a remake of the Godfather?

That is just wierd... lots of good actors out there, I vote for Adam Baldwin (Chuck, Firefly)... Should we start a campaign?

Re: What are you reading? 6 years 5 months ago #22960

Think it may be too late - the film is released soon

I would have liked to have seen someone like Jason Statham play the role but who knows it may be ok

Re: What are you reading? 5 years 7 months ago #37013

Not sure I could rely on a book so much but then I have good looks, charm aplenty and a bulging wallet and trousers - you see my book is a fairy story!!!!

erum

Re: What are you reading? 5 years 7 months ago #37024

currently reading 'Autobiography' by Morrissey. It's a poetic tragi-comic read as you might expect. I am a huge Smiths fan and also his earlier solo work.

Anyone else?

I am a father to a boy (6) and a girl (3). I am also a researcher interested in fathers' stories of parenting.

I am here on both counts. To chat as a father and to listen.

My aim is to give a voice to fathers. By listening to what being a father means to fathers themselves I hope to help websites for parents provide the best possible service and also help give policy makers real insight into fathers’ everyday lives.

Re: What are you reading? 5 years 7 months ago #37037

• actd
  • Thank you received: 1585
One thing I like about kindle (any kindle reader, as I read on my phone) is that you can read a reasonable amount of a book before deciding to buy - I've just read a couple of books by Tracey Brooks which I would never have dreamed of even looking at in a bookshop, but been very amusing reads.

Re: What are you reading? 5 years 2 months ago #42541

A monk sold his ferrai -its an inspirational one story that I am reading now.

Re: What are you reading? 5 years 1 month ago #44744

i have been reading alot of books by con iggulden ghengis khan. i never thought i would get into them. wow what a writer

• Page: