• Page:

TOPIC: Writing

Writing 5 years 10 months ago #27000

Hi all,

So I am attempting to write a book.....

Any advice??

Vaz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Writing 5 years 10 months ago #27009

stop posting on forums and get on with it!!! :p :p :p :p

whats the book about? give us some hints and we may be able to help.

Darren

DadTalk moderator

I'm not a legal proffesional and don't have any legal experience other than going through court myself. but offer my experience to help others

Re: Writing 5 years 10 months ago #27021

Well I am a bit of a geek so its all fantasy, pretty normal stuff i guess.

Its more advise on structure, how to build a book etc..

odd stuff i know

Re: Writing 5 years 10 months ago #27051

• actd
  • Thank you received: 1576
check with your local library - you will probably find that there is a group of aspiring writers meeting regularly, I think they help each other with ideas and encouragement.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vaz Cotta

Re: Writing 5 years 10 months ago #27527

i used to write spin off dr who stories for a forum i used to be a member of it's hard work but enjoying
it

Re: Writing 5 years 9 months ago #28153

Hi all,

So I am attempting to write a book.....

Any advice??

Vaz

I have forgotten which author said it but "write for your own enjoyment - not to sell books then what happens, happens."

I used to work with a guy that wrote Dr Who novels (before the TV reboot) . I was always amazed by how much planing he did. Everything was meticulously planned before he even started writing the actual story. He mapped out visually who was who, where they were, how the characters were related to each other, the basic events etc. If any of this changed during the process of writing he would then start remapping again.

My last day as DAD.info Community Manager was 1st April 15 - www.dad.info/forum/current-affairs-news-...ussion/43334-goodbye

Re: Writing 5 years 9 months ago #28732

Re: Writing 5 years 8 months ago #28970

Cheers for this Ross - I hadn't seen it but i'm definitely going to keep it and maybe use it when I try to write fiction again. I used to a long time ago write short stories and quite a bit of poetry and song lyrics but recently I am focusing on writing for research purposes which i still really enjoy but is quite different.

I have a couple of friends who are hawking their first novels around publishers at the moment as well as a good friend who is quite a successful poet. You're right re the meticulous research and planning that goes into it Gooner - one of them took over ten years to put it together and it isn't even that long! Still redrafting it i think. That's dedication isn't it?

I am a father to a boy (6) and a girl (3). I am also a researcher interested in fathers' stories of parenting.

I am here on both counts. To chat as a father and to listen.

My aim is to give a voice to fathers. By listening to what being a father means to fathers themselves I hope to help websites for parents provide the best possible service and also help give policy makers real insight into fathers’ everyday lives.

Re: Writing 5 years 5 months ago #33824

Writing a book is the most wonderfully satisfying experience. Trying to get published is like being *rse raped. Here's one I wrote earlier:

www.amazon.co.uk/The-Trouble-With-Girls-...1&keywords=jonny+cox

I'm not sure if this thread is still current so won't write a diatribe about writing books until the OP reappears but in general, I would definitely recommend it. I would start by formulating the idea of the plot, develop the settings, then the characters and once that is done, I would plan out the structure in chapters and then fill it in with the story.

It's hard work but keep going; it's worth it to be published, eventually.

• Page: