got an iphone and have to admit very frustrated that they force you to buy ringtones... i'm clearly a cheapskate as i have some flakey samba standard ring tone.... you would think for all the money apple have made they could allow you to assign any tune from your itunes library
Unfortunately I can't test this for you because I HAVEN'T GOT AN IPHONE
I found this after a quick search.... I guess you might find other methods.
I guess the usual warning is advisable: Before doing something, make sure you understand the gravity of each step you take... BEFORE you do it.
Make sure you have switched on 'Ringtones' in your iTunes general preferences and then proceed as follows...
1. First get the song you want to make the ringtone from.
2. Open it with quicktime pro (or any other editor)
3. Cust out the section you want as the ringtone and save it as a new mp3.
4. Import it into iTunes
5. in iTunes go into
Preferences > Advanced > Importing
Set to Import using: AAC encoder 128Kbps
6. Right click on the file you want as a ringtone and select:
Convert selection to AAC
Your file will now be converted to an AAC file. (appears in iTunes under your original file) - call it a different name, so as not to confuse, ie: instead of Song.xxx, call it Song1.xxx
7. Right click on the new file, click on show in finder (or open folder on windows)
8. You will now see your AAC file, all you have to do now is change the file extension from .m4a to .m4r
9. Drag the file out of the folder to the desktop, then drop it back into itunes. (Hover over your 'Ringtones' in the left menu list of iTunes, or it will just go into your main library)!
Sync with your iPhone. Done.
Acknowledgement: I scraped the above from a site called everythingicafe. :geek:
I have a Pal Treo pro and have had a palm of one sort or another for years, and have the same ring tone (Klavier) that I had on my first palm as I've never heard anyone else with it, so I always know it's mine. I do have a sonar beep as my missed text alert.
I used to have the crazy frog on a Nokia, but long before it became the crazy frog - I liked that one at the time