• Page:

TOPIC: visiting my children

visiting my children 5 years 11 months ago #26695

hi, anyone who reads this especially anyone who comments i really do appreciate.
in January my ex of 10 years (been split for 6 months) decided to take my three children to move up to Birmingham (we lived in London)
neither myself or family etc were informed,she just moved away to be with a bloke she met 2 months earlier ! .i have been to court and got a reasonable visitation order ,mainly due to the judge and cafcas officer being appalled by her behavior. i am now due to see my children on Tuesday for the first time in 3 months. however i lost my job just before Christmas an so am living on benefits until i can get back to work, and on checking today find that the costs of having my children each fortnight will cost me £90 in fares alone. does anyone out there have ant suggestions in which i could be helped? is there some type of government help i can get,? am i just stuck ?

many thanks

Shane

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: visiting my children 5 years 11 months ago #26700

• Nannyjane
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Nanny knows best!
  • Thank you received: 1579
Hi Shane and welcome :)

Unfortunately there are no government schemes or any financial assistance to help you with travel costs. Its going to be a matter of asking for help from friends and family and anything else you can think of. Its a sorry state of affairs and you have my sympathies.

Best of luck with it :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: shanewilson37

Mum and Grandmother, supporting my son who has residency of his son.
I want to see a much fairer system in place, where Dads and their children have a voice that can be heard.
There are many groups of people that have equal rights within our society and its about time Dads were given equal rights too.

Re: visiting my children 5 years 11 months ago #26702

Hi there and welcome

Yeah that's is pretty tough

You say it will cost you £90 but have you considered using National Express coaches - journey will take over two hours each way but less than a tenner each way.

If money is tight this may be a good option

Remember you don't need to spend loads there - the important thing is you see your kids

Hope this helps

Re: visiting my children 5 years 11 months ago #26718

• ak57
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 128
Leaving.Time: 06:30 on 26/03/2013.From: LONDON (Victoria Coach Station) View map .To: BIRMINGHAM (Coach Station) View map ..Returning.Time: 20:00 on 26/03/2013.From: BIRMINGHAM (Coach Station) View map .To: LONDON (Victoria Coach Station) View map ..PassengersInfo
.Adults: x 1 .Children: x 0 ...
Fares availableInfo
Funfare - Not Refundable. Online Only .
Amendable and Refundable .
Note: This fare is amendable but not refundable. Coachcard discounts cannot be used on Funfares. Going by coach like sm said its the best option , look at different times as they do off peak and you can get advance deals.

.Booking fee£1.00
.Subtotal£12.00

Re: visiting my children 5 years 11 months ago #26720

hi, thanks to everyone for the help and advice .

i don't think i was clear enough in my original email. the problem is that my ex lives in a place called wednesbury which is about a 30 min drive from Birmingham. so as well as the fares for myself as well as the kids there is also the metro tickets etc that i need to get to collect and drop off the children.

i will keep trying to make this possible as my children are my life ,and whatever happens i will get them somehow.

thanks

Shane

Re: visiting my children 5 years 11 months ago #26747

Buy a family and friends railcard (£28 pa, but worth it! you can make your money back on one trip!) Good Luck.

• Page: