• Page:

TOPIC: Disabled Child!?

Disabled Child!? 10 years 3 months ago #6677

Hello, my name is Daniel and I am a Daddy to my beautiful Daughter Jessica-Rose.
She was born with Cerebal Palsy and is now 2 years and 10 month old.
My wife and I have been through hell and back trying to make sense of the situation. But we are coping and Jessica has improved massivly since we started several different approches to her exercises and other stuff.
I`d like to chat to other Dad`s with similar experiences to hear about your experiences or try and help Dad`s who need some help, advice or need to chat about their Kids disability.
All the best wishes,

Daniel :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Disabled Child!? 10 years 3 months ago #6683

Hi Daniel

Welcome to DadTalk great to have you on board. As we are a growing community of dads I’m not aware of specific individuals who have children who suffer from Cerebral Palsy but I know Mr Orange might be someone who has some pearls of wisdom. I'll PM him and ask him to read your thread.

I used to teach Cerebral Palsy children many moons ago. It was a great job and I loved it. Cerebral Palsy is such a wide spectrum, I used to have children in my class who’s disabilities ranged from minor to major forms but each one would amaze me.

Is Jessica-Rose getting extra support from physiotherapist and occupational therapist? I know you mentioned that you guys are doing exercises with her which is great as it helps her muscle toning and flexibility. Have you looked in to grants to cover any adaptations you might need to your house? Your local council will be able to give you advice on that front although any OT worth their salts should be highlighting this info too.

We have a great article on the site from Contact a Family which you might find helpful. You can find it here They offer advise to dads with disabled children and you might find their site gives you more info too www.cafamily.org.uk

Anyway like I say welcome to the site mate, looking forward to hearing more about you and Jessica- Rose.

Re: Disabled Child!? 10 years 3 months ago #6691

Hiya,

Thanks for the reply! Yes we are well looked after by the local O.T. and the Physio, plus we are involved in a couple of (non NHS) other great institutions that benefited Jessica a lot.
We just got told today that she got accepted into a local mainstream ( and disability ) school here in Dundee for January.
My wife is as a full time carer for Jessica very aware of the good and also the bad sides of things that a child and parents have to go through these days to get funding and things their way.
Thanks again for the reply and all the best!
Daniel

Re: Disabled Child!? 10 years 3 months ago #6703

Hi Dan,
My partner grew up with her brother who has CP he is now 20. She also works in a special needs school with children with a wide range of disabilities all with varying ages, I would be more than happy to pass on any questions you may have or even get her to message you herself. Even though I hate to admit it she is very good and knows her stuff. I’m sure if there is a topic she might not be familiar with I’m sure there is somebody in the school with her who may be able to offer some good advice or tips for dads.

Hope this can be of some help :D

Rhys Joseph

• Page: