• Page:

TOPIC: Work every other week

Work every other week 5 years 8 months ago #35876

Hi all,

For a very long time, I have been mulling over the idea of working every other week. This is to facilitate my want to see my children equally (every other intervening week) and share parenting. Whilst I could go self employed or part time, I would obviously wish to earn as much as possible to support my children.

What I wish to know is has anyone ever looked into whether any employers do this, employers have looked at this or have said a flat NO to this?

**To clarify the week looking after my children could also allow for working between 10-2 each day as my children go to school.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Work every other week 5 years 8 months ago #35962

• LifeRebalanced
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Life Rebalanced - www.LifeRebalanced.com
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello ranbisimmo,
While I have not attempted this type of alternating work pattern it does sound like an interesting idea. Some types of work may not be able to be handled this way but there are many that could accommodate this approach if the employer is willing.

My suggestion would be to identify what the benefits of working alternate work weeks would provide your employer. This will help you "sell" the idea to them and show them why this model is not only good for you but good for them.

Having another employee interested in working opposite your schedule may be useful for job roles that need someone present each week.

Here are a couple of links that are not directly related to your question but they do involve talking to your employer about your current life situation to try to find ways to present your ideas to your employer. Again, these are not the same specific topic but I think you may find some useful information from these.

I hope this helps and I look forward to hearing back from you on how this works out with your employer!

liferebalanced.com/how-to-get-more-hours-at-work/

liferebalanced.com/balancing-new-baby-work/

Thanks!
Victor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

LIFE REBALANCED - www.LifeRebalanced.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Find balance between competing areas of life, find a fresh perspective, a new idea, and motivation to apply something you already know.
  • Page: