• Page:

TOPIC: Job interview while on paternity leave

Job interview while on paternity leave 5 years 10 months ago #36190

• Xarker
  • Xarker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I've searched everywhere on the net for answers to this and for the life of me I can't find an answer for it at all.

I'm unhappy in my current job and I'm looking to move in to a new work place, same industry, more pay etc but not the place I'm at now as the pay is lower than the industry standard and I work long hours for little return. There's not much scope for me to move up either as there's at least 2 people in front of me which are there for the long run.

Trying to book time off work to get an interview booked is mad as we have to give 2 weeks notice to take even a day off work and I hate having to lie to my employers and the people I work with (who I do get on with) about why I'm off and pulling a sickie.

So because of the arrival of my new baby and the fact I need to move on anyways to a new job for financial reasons too, what are the legal, if any, ramifications of going on a job interview whilst I'm on my paternity leave? My wife supports me in this decision as in the long run it's going to benefit us both, meaning we can save a deposit for a house. We currently live in a 1 bed good sized flat in a nice area, but with the extra eventual space needed for my little girl we're going to need somewhere bigger in the near future.

Any advice or help or if you could point me the right direction would be much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Job interview while on paternity leave 5 years 10 months ago #36195

• DaveR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 286
Hi Xarker,

I am not completely sure of any legal ramifications but would have thought that you can do whatever you wish on your leave regardless if it is pateranity leave.

I myself would arrange said interview during your leave.

Might be best to get other POV but Id go for the interview.

Regards,

Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xarker

Re: Job interview while on paternity leave 5 years 10 months ago #36196

• Xarker
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks DaveR

Re: Job interview while on paternity leave 5 years 10 months ago #36198

• LifeRebalanced
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Life Rebalanced - www.LifeRebalanced.com
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello Xarker,
First of all, I'm sorry to hear how unhappy you sound in your current job. I can relate (as I'm sure many can) to how this feels as I've suffered through a few jobs that were very difficult for me to deal with the work environment. I took many things personal that I should not have and felt beat down.

Second, congratulations on your new baby!

I can't speak specifically to the legal concerns of your area but I would be shocked if there was some type of law that prohibits you from seeking new employment on your pre-arranged time off from your current employer. If you are unable to seek new employment on your time off when else would you seek for it?

While your job is important your family is at least equally important if not more so, in my opinion. So, I would encourage you to take this leave time to explore new job opportunities if that will help your ability to provide for your family.

Something else I'd recommend is when you interview with the other locations is to ask for the highest pay rate you believe would be fair to pay you based on your industry, your experience, and the location. Once they make you an offer think about if you would like to stay at your current company if they were willing to make some changes. When you are prepared to give your current company notice of your switching jobs you could ask them if they would be willing to make adjustments to your current position (pay, hours, work environment, etc.) that would make your current position equally or more desirable to the new one you have been offered. Once you have the new job offer, what do you have to loose by asking this of your current employer?

This gives your current employer the opportunity to try to keep you as it may cost them less resources to meet your requests for increased pay, etc. than to train someone new for a position you already posses training for within that organization. Industry education and experience is one consideration for an employer but a wise employer will also recognize experience an employee has within that specific company as all companies are different in some ways. If you have a good amount of time with a specific company you have some amount of leverage with them in that you are trained on that specific organizations processes where someone new would not be.

I would not worry as much about the others that are in line for specific jobs ahead of yours. In many cases, new jobs within a company can be created to meet a need that a specific job opening may not have been there for.

Now, if there is something about your current company you very much do not like that cannot be changed perhaps this step is not needed. But if you try you have lost nothing as even if they say no you still have the commitment from the new job to hire you. Just be sure you have a strong commitment from the new job to hire you before you attempt this with your current employer.

I hope this helps! I never think this process is easy but if you believe in yourself, put your family's needs high on your priority list, and push through the hard parts you will surely find the journey worth the effort on at least some levels.

I wrote a blog post not too long ago about balancing work and a new baby that may be of help to you as well: liferebalanced.com/balancing-new-baby-work/

God bless and best wishes on your job search!
~ Victor
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xarker

LIFE REBALANCED - www.LifeRebalanced.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Find balance between competing areas of life, find a fresh perspective, a new idea, and motivation to apply something you already know.

Re: Job interview while on paternity leave 5 years 10 months ago #36208

• Xarker
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you for the extremely good answer!
The following user(s) said Thank You: LifeRebalanced

Re: Job interview while on paternity leave 5 years 10 months ago #36380

• actd
  • Thank you received: 1608
I agree - when you are off on leave, you can do what you want - the law doesn't say you have to be with your child every second (or at all for that matter).

I agree with the disdain for pulling a sickie, but I did that when I applied for my job (in fact, I nearly got a phone call at home when I did as I found out that the FD laughingly said at the time that I couldn't be sick as I'd never been off ill) - if it's the only way you can get time, then you have to do it, however much you hate to do so.

Re: Job interview while on paternity leave 5 years 9 months ago #36672

• Xarker
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Cheers for the advice! :)

• Page: