Parental Responsibility: why does it matter?

Parental Responsibility is a legal status and how the law recognises you as the legitimate father of your child, so it's worth making sure you've got it. Dad Info explains all...


Why does it matter?

Signing the birth certificate (and getting PR) is really important to your child - as the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child states:

"The child shall be registered immediately after birth and shall have the right from birth to a name, the right to acquire a nationality and as far as possible, the right to know and be cared for by his or her parents."

Having PR is also important to you. It gives you the legal authority to make decisions about important aspects of your child’s life. These can include their name, school, religious upbringing and place of residence.

Fathers without PR can’t authorise medical treatment for their children (except in emergencies), see their medical records, manage any money they’ve inherited, or prevent their adoption or change of surname or removal abroad.

Of course, if everything's rosy between you and mum, you'll have a say in these things as a matter of course. But if things change in the future, having Parental Responsibility is the legal guarantee that you're at least allowed through the door of the court to discuss your child's future. Without it, you'll spend your time trying to get it.

If you're separated

You will need to have Parental Responsibility in order for the court to recognise you as the child's father, and they'll have to do this before you can be involved in court decisions about their future, such as which school they go to, which country they live in, what their surname is etc.

Having PR does not, in itself, entitle a parent to live with or see their child; but a father who has it may be regarded more favourably by a court, if this issue comes to it.

Having PR doesn’t make you liable for paying child support: if you are recognised as the biological father, you will have to pay child support – whether or not you have PR.

Parental Responsibility Continued...

Parental Responsibility: you and the law

Fathers Rights - How do I get parental responsibility?

Hide comments (1)


  • Guest
    Stuart Cunliffe Wednesday, 01 March 2017


    My wife and I are separated. My two children lived with me until my wife started collecting my children from school at the same time as me. She was collecting them through school office rather than the playground.

    There is an interim order in place where I have limited contact. My wife has chosen my 11 year old school taking him out of the area I live and has made enquiries and is planning on changing my 5 year old daughters school.

    In both instances I was not consulted and my son doesn't want to go to the school she has chosen.

    She is very volatile has lied in Cafcass reports and in court documents. How can I enforce my parental responsibility when we are currently go through the courts to decide residency?


Leave your comment

Guest Tuesday, 27 June 2017