DAD.info
Free online course for separated parents
Forum - Ask questions. Get answers.
Free online course for separated parents
How far can the CSA...

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] How far can the CSA back date claims?

(@possible_dad)
New Member Registered

Hi,

It's possible I have a child of around 15. While the whole possible bit is brought to a conclusion, I'm just trying to prepare for both eventualities and someone came up with a question that I could do with knowing the answer to. As my name definitely will not be on the birth certificate IF (and it's a big if) the child is mine, will the CSA start asking for 15 years of back payment? - Whilst I believe that you should pay for your own children in this world, I'm not a lottery winner, and I might need to start saving now!

I'm having an odd week, anything you can advise would be really helpful about now...

Topic starter Posted : 16/09/2013 6:35 pm
 Mojo
(@Mojo)
Illustrious Member Registered

Hello PD,

Any CSA claim can only begin from the date that the mother makes the claim. The CSA can ask for payments if the mother names you, whether you are named on the birth certificate or not.

Are you communicating with the mother? Perhaps you could ask her what the situation is with regard to this. It might be a good idea to google the CSA calculator, input your details and you will be given an amount that you would be expected to pay. It might be an idea to start putting this amount away whilst you await the outcome.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/09/2013 9:14 pm
(@possible_dad)
New Member Registered

HI Mojo,

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated. I'll check out that calculator today.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/09/2013 2:12 pm
(@neil9252)
New Member Registered

I'm in a similar situation. Out of the blue I've just received a letter from the CSA. I'm only just getting back on my feet after spending time in hospital and suffer from PTSD, anxiety and depression. I can't see how I'm going to afford this as I'm on a low wage income anyway and have debts consolidated which I'm paying off. Why now? after all these years, I didn't even know this child existed until two days ago!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/09/2013 7:20 pm
(@Child Maintenance Consultant)
Noble Member Registered

Hi Possible_dad

Thank you for your post. I am William the Child maintenance Options consultant. If the person who is asked to pay maintenance denies that they are the parent, the Child Support Agency (CSA) classes this as a disputed parentage case. If a claim is made to the CSA, they will ask the person named if they accept that they are the child's parent. If they deny it, they will look into the reasons why and ask them to provide evidence to support their denial. They will not ask them to pay child maintenance until the dispute has been resolved. You can find out more about what happens when someone denies they are the parent of a child online at www.gov.uk/child-maintenance.

The CSA do not backdate new claims. If an application is made with the CSA, your responsibility to pay will start from around the time the CSA contact you. If the child's mother had previously opened a case fifteen years ago with the CSA then they may be backdated payments owed.

If you are the child father and you and the child's mother are amicable you may wish to try and work out child maintenance between yourselves. This is known as a family-based arrangement and is where you can agree who will provide what for your child. It can include money and other kinds of support, for example providing clothing. Family-based arrangements are not legally binding, however, they can be quick, easy and flexible to change if your circumstances do.

We have useful tools and guides on our website like our family-based arrangement form that is not a legally enforceable document but may put your agreement on a more formal basis. You may also find our Child Maintenance Decision guide: Talking about money helpful. It can help you to work with your child's mother to agree a suitable arrangement between yourselves. You can print out a copy of these leaflets at www.cmoptions.org.

You may wish to use our online calculator via the following link: http://www.cmoptions.org/en/calculator/ to see how much maintenance you may be required to pay if you were to use the services of the CSA. You can use this estimated figure as a starting point in making a family-based arrangement.

To find out more about how Child Maintenance Options can help you visit www.cmoptions.org or call us free on 0800 988 0988 between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday or 9am and 4pm on Saturday.

I hope this helps.

William

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2013 6:50 pm
Share:

Pin It on Pinterest