Dad dot info form. Ask questions, get answers
Clear all

[Solved] More contact?

Active Member Registered

My court battle finished this year with pretty standard contact, more than I had ever had so I accepted it.
2 weekends a month, school holidays, shared birthdays, shared special occasions etc.

However there has been a recent turn in events whereby my ex tried to commit suicide and SS have now placed our daughter in my care full time pending an assessment.

She is allowed to see her daily and have her for tea a couple of times a night but no more just yet.

Eventually the plan will be that our daughter goes back to live with her mom full time and contact would be as per the order and I would go back to every other weekend.

My question is, is it reasonable to apply for more contact given the new circumstances. I don't think I will be entirely comfortable only seeing my daughter twice a month given the new dynamic.

I am not saying I would take her full time but I would like to see her more often, potentially weekly or even 50/50.

What is the liklihood of this being granted?

Should this be a standard or emergency as SS are involved and police have been to ex in past months concerned for welfare.

Any advice is appreciated.

Topic starter Posted : 04/12/2020 2:10 am
Honorable Member Registered

I would definitely ask for more contact from what you just told me. You would just come across that you are being child focused and hope mum gets well etc soon . The fact the children are living with you now would give u even more reason to say ask for every other weekend drop off to school on a monday and get a midweek night say on a wednesday every week where u take them to school next day . You would then be on 10 nights out of 28 and have half of the holidays.

The fact social services have placed children in your care suggests she wont be getting them back anytime soon and social services would if you do well as a full time parent temporarily welcome the idea of you having close to 50-50 shared care anyway

Posted : 04/12/2020 2:17 am
Honorable Member Registered

I'd agree with Warwickshire that it would be reasonable for you to request more time. However, I think the timing of your request will be critical. Do it too soon amd you may appear opportunitistic.

Getting the timing right so just before daughter goes back to live with mum (factoring in court process times and delays) would increase your chances.

Posted : 04/12/2020 2:55 am
Illustrious Member

It might be worth speaking to social services and seeing what their opinion is for the long term - if they think the best idea is for you to have her full time, and can put this in writing to you, then you could potentially apply for this through the court on the basis that it's been recommended by social services for the welfare of your daughter.

Posted : 04/12/2020 2:03 pm

Pin It on Pinterest