Dad dot info form. Ask questions, get answers
Clear all

[Solved] Passport and traveling abroad

New Member Registered

I was under the impression that both parents with PR had to agree or seek permission from the other regarding holidays abroad and issuing passports..

How has my ex got a passport for my child without my knowledge? There isn't a residency order.

I'm not a horrible guy and would give permission but she takes him out the country without telling me and he has a passport... how?

Topic starter Posted : 28/02/2020 5:01 am
Reputable Member Registered

As long as you are named on the birth certificate, I think she should have got your permission? it has been a while since I have filled out a passport application, but I imagine she may have just completed your section herself, if it is just name and date of birth details, she would know all of this?

Posted : 28/02/2020 1:17 pm
Estimable Member Registered

It's been a while in my case too, but I'm also of the understanding that both parents have to enter and sign their details when applying for their child's passport, particularly if both are registered on the birth cert. It does sound likely that she's either filled in your section or has given the impression you are no longer involved with your child / or your whereabouts are unknown.

Without a court order in place, the 'resident parent' (who the child 'mainly lives with') can take the child abroad for up to 28 days. While it would be advisable (as well as courteous) for this parent to seek the permission of the other, it's technically not considered an offence if this doesn't happen. My son's mother attempted to do this when our son was 4, despite my objections (she was planning on taking him abroad for 28 days, and then a few days after they returned from that, on another holiday for another week). The prospect of not seeing him for such an extended period of time caused me considerable distress, which she didn't give two hoots about, so I took her to court, and got an order which defines the times our son spends with either of us. She is now unable to take him abroad for longer than 8 days unless I consent to this.

Posted : 29/02/2020 3:05 am
Famed Member

hi Reevey87,

without a court order, your ex will do pretty much whatever she likes. in my order it states if both parents want to take kids abroad or just a week holiday somewhere in UK, have to give each other 8 weeks notice, give travel details and hand over passports etc.

Posted : 01/03/2020 10:47 pm

Pin It on Pinterest