Dad dot info form. Ask questions, get answers
Clear all

[Solved] Big decission time

Eminent Member Registered


I wonder could I ask for some thoughts and advice here. I am about to make biggest decision in my life. After 3 years of fighting for contact with my son and also for property that I bought together with my ex partner and now is being sold. I need to decide where to go and what to do. Due to court order making me that I have to sell the flat in London, I have chance now to make some money from the sale of the property and ???- I am now on crossroads, torn apart with thought - Shell I move to Ipswich area (where my son lives) and start life all over again,(no job, no accommodation, but I will be close to him and can use my savings to live until I find some job) . Or stay in London and make money with job I have got. I believe he will need me when he is older and now I only need to work and make money, to pay for rent and child maintenance and travel for 2.5 hours to see him every other weekend (court has ordered to us that I pick up my boy on Friday and bring him to London and mum picks him up on Sunday and brings him to Ipswich area).

What would you do? I am worried if I go in place where my son lives, I might not find any work and loose all my savings. Not sure which way to go and look for some light at the end of the tunnel \m/

What would you do if you are in my place...I am asking on this site, as I had great help in darkest moments of my life.

Topic starter Posted : 21/01/2016 6:59 pm
Famed Member Registered

Hi There,
I think this is something only you can decide, however if you are seeing your son every other week, and it's 2.5 hours I would probably stay put in London, for now anyway, you don't need to rush with anything.

You could then later down the line if you wanted spend some time looking for work and accomodation in Ipswich while stayig in London so that you don't spend all of your savings.
If you were going to stay in London and look for a job nearer your son, you could apply for jobs and line up interviews for a week and take holiday, have some flats lined up to look at too and then if you get a job offer then you could move knowing you wouldn't spend all of your savings.

Posted : 21/01/2016 7:34 pm
Svemirko liked
Eminent Member Registered

Thank you GTTS,

There are loads of tactical problems. I had a call from Child Maintenance company requesting new fee for child maintenance and when I calculated all expenses that I am paying towards child (child maintenance, petrol to travel to Ipswich, food when child is with me), very reasonable scenario is to move near by him. I would cut about £100 pounds on petrol alone.

London is mutating into housing monster, where prices for rent are still going up instead freezing, when court ordered that boy comes to live with me every second weekend, they stated that can only be if I have adequate accommodation, meaning no studio flats to rent or house share.

Topic starter Posted : 22/01/2016 4:42 pm

Pin It on Pinterest