TOPIC: When does Child Benefit stop

When does Child Benefit stop 1 month 4 weeks ago #109267

Hi I'm new to this forum, i have a question please. I have been paying child maintenance for two children and not missed a payment over 11 years now, my one daughter turned 20 last year and left to university and i notified CM and they never checked her status, a year went by and i contacted CM again and they admitted they never checked up on my daughters status and have now adjusted the monthly payments. my 2nd daughter is 18 and starts university in September and i have notified CM again (via website), but have received no response, should i keep making payments even when i know she has left for university?

Thanks Karl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When does Child Benefit stop 1 month 4 weeks ago #109268

Hi Karl and welcome to the forum...

I recently asked the CMS same question, below is what I've posted on other threads:

CMS is paid until child reaches 16 or until they reach 20 if they continue in full time education studying upto A Levels or equivalent.

Usually a child will do A Levels or equivalent from age 16 to 18 but they may have to retake GSCEs (or equivalent age 16 to 17) and then start A Levels at age 17 through to 19 and potentially retake another year of A Levels taking them through to age 20.

If they go on to study anything higher than A Level after age 16 then no CMS is to be paid.

The below article provides details of what HMRC class as acceptable courses to maintain Child Benefit which is generally paid for the same duration as Child Maintenance is due. Although I believe one difference is that Chid Maintenance is only paid if child is in full time education whereas Child Benefit can be paid if child is studying part time.

www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinanc...d-education-training

It's not easy to obtain proof of education if your ex is not willing to provide details. My suggestion would be to tell CMS that it is your understanding that child(ren) are not in education and that you intend to stop payments unless CMS obtain proof. I don't believe they have to provide copy to you but you can them if they hold it on file and the finer details of course/school/college etc.

I'm not an expert but hope this helps.

When does Child Benefit stop 1 month 1 week ago #109650

Hello, I stay in Glasgow and have been paying maintenance for my child,he is 20 in a month and he works for me making £220:00 a week since March this year, my ex said I still have to pay the maintenance after his birthday as he is going to college, this will be his second time, 1st time it was music, and now it’s a barber ! Can some one please advise me ? Do I still have pay this money ?

When does Child Benefit stop 1 month 1 week ago #109651

• actd
  • actd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1749
Unless you have a court order to say you have to pay beyond 20, could maintenance stops at age 20. If you aren't paying through cms, then you can stop now, all your account
Ex can do is open a case with CMS, by which time hell be 20 anyway so they won't touch it.

When does Child Benefit stop 2 weeks 6 days ago #110009

Hi

I'm after some advice. I have been paying CSA with no questions ask but I was always advised by the CSA that I still have to pay maintenance as long as my son is in full time education and is in receipt of child benefit.

Today as of the 7th of September the CSA advised he is not in receipt of Child Benefit. My CSA case worker has advised that my ex has told them he is still in full time education and therefore should still receive full maintenance.

But from what he said she has just said this. He then advised I should contact child benefit and open a case with them. Im totally confused about this as the CSA always said that as long as my son is in receipt of child benefit I should pay maintenance.

I believe my son is not in college anymore and is working but this is only hearsay and I have no solid proof.

Should I contact child benefit or complain to the CSA to investigate?.

Thanks in advance :)

Sorry I forgot to add my son is 17

Last Edit: by alismudge. Reason: adding age

When does Child Benefit stop 2 weeks 6 days ago #110010

you could contact child benefit dept and make enquiry about sons child benefit with them, why has it ended. this is the problem if you don't have any contact with kids. ex can lie and be dumb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: alismudge

Moderators: Samantha Downes