Free online course for separated parents
When to stop paying...

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] When to stop paying child support

(@arthurdent)
Active Member Registered

Hi,

I am looking to clarify when I can legally stop paying child support.

I have paid it directly to my ex-wife as per the C.S.A. calculations since the divorce (2007) for our daughter who is about to turn 18. My daughter is in her final year at school and will sit her A-levels in the summer, then plans to go to university.

Am I right in my understanding that I have to continue paying my ex while my daughter is in full-time education (up to age 20)? that this excludes university? but includes August 2017 before the next school year starts?
So assuming she attends uni or leaves school I would stop paying at the end of August 2017. But if she had to stay on a year to retake A-levels I would pay until August 2018. Is that right?

I am keen to pay the money directly to my daughter to ensure the money is used on her, however from what I have read that doesn't appear to be legally possible. Is that correct?

I am not looking to shirk my fiscal responsibility - I intend to contribute towards her university education as well. I just don't trust that the money I pay is being used in my daughter's best interests.

Many thanks in advance.

Topic starter Posted : 27/10/2016 3:22 am
 Mojo
(@Mojo)
Illustrious Member Registered

Hi there

You are correct, it's payable up until your child is 20 as long as they are in full time, non advanced education, this excludes University.

Generally your payments would stop at the beginning of September in whichever year she leaves school, so if she has to re take you would continue to be liable.

As you have a private arrangement you can try and re negotiate terms with the mother, perhaps you should open a discussion about the possibility of paying your daughter directly, or maybe a compromise where you pay your daughter half of the amount you would normally pay the mother. You could include your daughter in the conversation....it may help her mother to agree if she is a party to the discussions.

Best of luck

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/10/2016 3:52 am
(@arthurdent)
Active Member Registered

Thanks for the reply.

It seems her mother wants to continue to receive the money directly. While I would like to change that it doesn't sound like I can unless she is agreeable. That'll be a no then :-).

I guess I just need to be patient for a few more months, Then I'll no longer need to pay my ex and worry about where the money goes. I can then pay direct to my daughter to fund her university bills.

Thanks again

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27/10/2016 5:06 am
(@Child Maintenance Consultant)
Noble Member Registered

Hello arthurdent

Child maintenance is a contribution towards the cost of bringing up a child and this includes items, such as food and clothing, but also it is a contribution towards the home that the child lives in and the associated costs of running that home. It must be paid to the parent providing the main day-to-day care of a child, unless parents agree otherwise, and as Mojo has confirmed, under current child support legislation, child maintenance is usually paid until a child reaches 16 years old, or until they reach 20 years old if they are in full-time, non-advanced education.

Full-time education is an average of 12 hours or more per week of classroom study. Non-advanced education is up to and including A-level equivalent. When university education commences, which is normally classed as advanced education (above A-level equivalent), child maintenance is typically no longer a requirement.

As a general rule child maintenance is expected to be paid while ever a child is eligible for Child Benefit. You can find more information about when child maintenance and Child Benefit stops on Gov.uk at https://www.gov.uk/when-child-maintenance-payments-stop.

For information on all the different ways to set up child maintenance and for a more personalised service, you can visit the Child Maintenance Options website at http://www.cmoptions.org.

The DWP have a sorting out separation web-app that you may find useful. It offers help and support to separating and separated families. The link is: www.dad.info/divorce-and-separation/sorting-out-separation.

Regards

William

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/10/2016 8:23 pm
(@arthurdent)
Active Member Registered

Thanks William. From both replies looks like I clearly must continue paying my ex despite my reservations as to how the money is used. I'm not looking to dodge any payments and will continue to pay her while I have to - would just rather pay direct to my daughter if I had the choice.
Both replies much appreciated. Thanks

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 28/10/2016 5:43 pm
Share:

Pin It on Pinterest