Free online course for separated parents
Voluntary agreement...

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Voluntary agreement, now £4000 in arrears

(@RegLight)
New Member Registered

Hi all,

I’d really appreciate any advice you could give me.

About 4 years ago my Ex and I managed to arrange a voluntary agreement in terms of child maintenance payments. I’d agree to pay her directly (by standing order - i have proof). So I contacted the CSA and they were happy both parties had a voluntary agreement and was told I wouldn’t hear from them again.

I have never missed a payment, and treat my kids a lot!

Last month I received a letter from the Child Maintenance ‘service’ that I owe £4,000 in arrears! They have now sent me a letter saying that I need to pay £400 PCM.
I called and spoke to the CMS and explained I have a voluntary agreement, and have been paying without fail. But they said these were debts from the ‘old’ CSA carried across to the CMS?!?! I asked should I stop paying the voluntary amount “oh no, you should still be paying that” …

Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Topic starter Posted : 13/02/2017 3:34 am
 Yoda
(@yoda)
Famed Member

Hi

I would suggest that you contact your local MP or CAB to get help with this, they are usually pretty good at helping with these types of issues.

Best of luck

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/02/2017 11:36 pm
(@RegLight)
New Member Registered

Thanks Yoda,

And taken note.

I spoke to them again today.. They are now passing it back to the CSA as I have requested a full breakdown of the costs including timelines.
The (polite) lady on the phone at CMS said they couldn't give that to me!?! I pretty sure i should be able to have a full breakdown of something that I am being requested to pay!

I'll see what the CSA say, and then get in touch with my MP... I have no doubt incompetenancy will continue..

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14/02/2017 12:08 am
 Yoda
(@yoda)
Famed Member

Definitely get in touch with your MP - you will need a referral from them if you have to take this as far as the Parliamentary Ombudsman

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/02/2017 12:11 am
(@dhoby)
New Member Registered

Hi Reglight,

Did you have any joy when your case was passed back to the csa. I am in a similar situation but The CMS are after £7500 of arrears but my case was closed 9 years ago. Unfortunately I destroyed all my paperwork as was told twice by the CSA that the cases were closed. I was RP for 1 child and NRP for another, we had a voluntary agreement so the payment did not go through the CSA. There are no arrears owed but the CMS are giving me 14 days for me to provide proof of payment virtually impossible as I am going to have to go to the bank to try and get copies of cheques I paid to her starting in 2001. Another problem is the case for the child I was NRP is with the CMS and the case I was RP is with the CSA just to make it that bid harder. I received a letter today stating my ex wife wants the arrears to be collected even though she knows there are none. I am not paying any arrears and intend to try to take them to court as they are just not listening to me when I contact them. Both agencies are not fit for purpose in my opinion and I understand how people become so low after dealing with them. Any information would be gratefully received. cheers

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/03/2017 5:21 pm
Share:

Pin It on Pinterest