Dad dot info form. Ask questions, get answers
Am I entitled to an...
Clear all

[Solved] Am I entitled to any money from the house if I am not paying the mortgage

New Member Registered

Will try and make this short. The ex was a receptionist on a 0hrs contract when I met her. We got married and had 2 children aged 6 and 16.
After a couple of years the wife realised she didnt have British citizenship as she came to england as a child. She had to stop her nurse training for 1 year as not eligible for the bursary. I supported her through these years and paid 90% of all Bill's.
we decided to buy our council house which we got for very little cash. I paid all the solicitors fees and checks you have done when you buy a house . I'm still paying for the windows in the house.
After literally 2 months of having the house we split up. I only earn a small amount. I am a band 4 in the NHS and the ex is a band 6 now! She lives in the house with the kids and pays the mortgage which is only 200 a month. I cannot afford to pay the mortgage as my rent was 300 for a crummy 2 bed flat but at least I got to see my kids.
The ex is claiming I cannot claim any money off the house as I dont pay but I cannot as I dont earn enough to pay the mortgage and the rent.
As she couldn't get a loan or mortgage without me surely I am owed something as I paid all fees.
We bought the house for 50k which is now worth 150k. She will be mortgage free by the age of 45 and I have nothing.
I just dont know how far to push this . I didn't take anything at all from the house and I had to get everything myself mainly handouts from friends and family. I always pay my child maintenance and have my children regularly

Topic starter Posted : 09/02/2020 11:47 pm
Famed Member


am not very familiar with this, but as your married, then surely both of you have rights over the assets? would be good to get legal advice

check out:

Posted : 10/02/2020 12:50 am
Honorable Member Registered

If you are on the mortgage you are entitled to a percentage of it . Its most likely you will have to wait until children are 18 unless she offers you a settlement( buys you out ) resulting in your name been removed off the house etc

Posted : 10/02/2020 2:21 pm
New Member Registered

Thank you. It just doesn't make sense that unpaid for everything initially and wouldnt be entitled to get that back.

Topic starter Posted : 10/02/2020 7:41 pm
Illustrious Member

I would see if you can get a 30 minute free consultation with a solicitor to check your status - with any luck, you will get that free, but it may be worth being prepared to pay for the service. However, if the solicitor confirms you are entitled, I'd then take that to your ex as a negotiating position - it may be worth giving a little, as it's better that the money stays with you and your ex, rather than being spent on lawyers fees on both sides.

Posted : 11/02/2020 4:43 pm

Pin It on Pinterest