Dad dot info
Free online course for separated parents
Forum - Ask questions. Get answers.
Free online course for separated parents
Clear all

Child Maintenance Service UK

New Member Registered

Quick question which I hope someone can help me with.


I changed jobs and took a lower salary, I went from a salary and BIK package of £46'640 to a salary of £25'000 plus £6'000 car benefit, so I assumed I would qualify for a reduction in CMS contribution. However the CMS have said this is not greater than 25%!!!!

I thought I had lost my mind, however in my offer of employment from my new employer I am entitled to claim mileage at 0.25p per mile up to a maximum of £625 per month, I wonder if the CMS count this as income?


Firstly there is no saying I would claim any mileage in my new role, let alone £625....does anyone have knowledge of this or able to offer advice? Thanks in advance.



Topic starter Posted : 27/01/2022 7:08 pm
Famed Member

hi, can you check with your HR/Payroll team if that mileage claim shows up on your payslip as additional income. if it does, then I take it CMS would probably count that as income.

as far as I know, they take into account benefit in kind packages, like company car. with those figures you mention, the salary definitely has dropped by more than 25%. I would suggest you ring CMS, or do web chat and ask them to look into it again. you can call and ask to speak to a case worker/decision maker. if they insist it hasn't gone down by 25% then they should be able to give a proper explanation for that. Ask them for a mandatory reconsideration. more info:


You can appeal a child maintenance decision about payment amounts.

Before you can appeal, you must contact the Child Maintenance Service to ask for the decision to be looked at again. This is called ‘mandatory reconsideration’. You’ll need to say why you disagree with the decision.

If you’re unhappy with the outcome of the mandatory reconsideration, you can appeal to the Social Security and Child Support Tribunal. The tribunal is impartial and independent of government.

Appeal to the Social Security and Child Support Tribunal

Appeal to the tribunal within one month of getting the mandatory reconsideration decision. If you submit your appeal after a month you’ll have to explain why you did not do it earlier.

Download and fill in form SSCS2 and send it to the address on the form.

You’ll need to choose whether you want to go to the tribunal hearing to explain your case. If you do not attend, your appeal will be decided on your appeal form and any supporting evidence.

After you submit your appeal, you can provide evidence. Your appeal and the evidence will be discussed at a hearing by a judge and one or two experts. The judge will then make a decision.

It usually takes around 6 months for your appeal to be heard by the tribunal.

Posted : 27/01/2022 8:30 pm
New Member Registered

Thats brilliant , thank you

Topic starter Posted : 27/01/2022 9:55 pm

Pin It on Pinterest